Endurance kayaking..

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
So yesterday, me and another ODTr (who shall remain nameless, don't want to ruin his rep... :laugh:) hit the hooch in our yaks. EIGHT HOURS in the boats with ONE 10 minute break to eat a sammich. My back was (still is) broken! But hey, some fish were caught, some laughs were had, a beautiful river was enjoyed. Hard to complain (but my aching back! ;) )

So, what's the most time you've spent at one go? Not sure if that was a record for me (don't think so) but it's up there.

I think 5 hours was my max. Where was your put in and take out points? Just got another boat after a few years without, looking to get back into some day trips.

I think 5 hours was my max. Where was your put in and take out points? Just got another boat after a few years without, looking to get back into some day trips.
Put in at the dam, out at McGinnis Ferry. We fished a lot until we realized at our then current pace we'd make it out around next Tuesday. :laugh:

Looks like about 8.5 miles, thats a pretty good haul in what seems to be fairly flat water from the couple youtube vids i checked out. I want to head down to Columbus in the next few weeks and check out the hooch down there. Looks like some decent rapids, let the river do the work =) I will also check out the dam to McGinnis run but it will probably be torture in a non-v / creek boat.

The longest I can stand is about 4-5 hours. I used to ride dirt bikes for 7-8 hours a weekend. Sucks getting older and having responsibility :) It's a blast though.

12hours for me. I put in at Macedonia rd and 411 on the Etowah and float to Grizzard park takeout on the Rome bypass (state route 1). Honestly, its so fishy through that stretch that one could make it a daylight to dark excursion. Due to the lack of takeouts between the landings there is very little fishing pressure. There are some slow spots that require some paddling but it's completely worth it.

Did a 10 hour day in the Tampa Bay Area last summer flats fishing. In full disclosure there was also a lot of walking the flats too so my rear felt no pain. I had cuts in my fingers from stripping salty fly line through them all day though.

Back
Top Bottom