• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Engineers: Georgia Tech vs Kennesaw State (Southern Poly)

Any engineers in the house? One of the kids is going to college for mechanical engineering this fall. The choices close by are
  • Georgia Tech
  • Kennesaw State University (formerly Southern Poly)

Assuming both are close in price, would you favor one over the other? And if so, why?
I have a niece with an engineering degree from tech. She works at a landscape company. :doh:

I have two neighbors - a father and son - both are So Poly alum. They have done well for themselves but then they live simply and don’t blow cash on silly frivolities.

Nowadays what was a degree for us old people now means a masters. Go to KSU and then Ga Tech Masters and be debt free.

That is what my daughter is doing with International affairs and will get masters from George Washington. BTW was accepted there $300,000 for 4 years was not a option.

Georgia Tech. My son is a junior and sort of in the same boat. Thank goodness he is a good student and scored well on the SAT. Just went on a college visit there a week ago. Acceptance rate is only about 20% though. He could always go to KSU first year and transfer if he doesn’t get in right away.
Tech is more “prestigious” I think. If you care about that kind of thing.
With the lottery scholarships either is hard to beat if you are a Georgia resident.
Good luck to him in any case.

Worked on a project several years ago with engineers from University of Alabama and Auburn. During football season the rivalry talk was crazy :dizzy:

That would never happen here in Georgia ...would it?:pop2:

Don't mean to rain on your parade but if I'm not mistaken applications for Fall at Tech are closed so that's not even an option. January 5th was the deadline. Tech had 50,000+ applications for a Freshman class size of 3,600.

I believe the deadline for KSU is June 1st.

I have twins. Both are HS seniors this year. One has been accepted to Tech under the conditional acceptance program or whatever it is called. He has to take the necessary courses, carry 30 semester hours, and maintain a 3.3gpa his freshman year at a school other than Tech and he's guaranteed a spot in Summer '23. His major will be aerospace engineering. Any and all prayers are appreciated for his success!

Other son has applied to Purdue (stretch school), UGA (yes, they have mechanical engineering), Auburn, and was accepted to UT Knoxville and MS State (since I'm a vet he gets in-state tuition). We're praying he gets into UGA because of Hope and Zell scholarships. UT is $50k/year for out of state tuition.

Best of luck - this has been a very stressful year dealing with all of this college entrance stuff and quite frankly my wife has been doing most of the research.

FWIW I graduate So Poly in '88. Very practical education. Once you're out in the work world your job experience means a lot. My nephew graduated KSU (mechanical engineering) and is now working for General Motors doing some pretty cutting-edge stuff.

Back
Top Bottom