• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

England...

I was stationed at RAF Chicksands (now defunct base and grazing spot for sheep) from 1973 - 1976. My English neighbor was from Abergavany, Wales and he delighted in trying to get me to say those Welsh town names with all the double LL's in them in my Southern accent. He rolled on the floor laughing.

But, we took a weekend trip and visited his home town along with a lot of old castles (actually most were just lines of big rocks marking where the castle used to stand) along with a trip to Bath and other neat places. The food in the pubs was good but couldn't get over the 3 little ice cubes in a glass of warm coke with my meal.

We also visited London and he told me to make sure to bring plenty of pennies. Found out that almost all the public bathrooms have pay to use stalls and each took a penny. Now all these years later it probably cost a bit more or maybe you can swipe your card (beware the stuff they put in the stalls to swipe your bottom, it was like wax paper and would zip all the way up your back before you knew what hit you).

Enjoy your trip.

I went with a church choir tour
Mrs roundhouse is a fantastic singer and concert pianist

We were in Abergavany Wales
At a small church right in the middle of the road in the center of town
Kinda like the courthouses are in small Georgia towns

And this elderly man is chatting with us and learns we are from Georgia and he asks is Georgia is in the south
I said yes it is and he excused himself and says he will be back in a few minutes

He comes back with a huge confederate flag

I'm asking "where did you get that ?"!

From the pub

As we were leaving on the coach , (what they call a bus in England that's not a red double decker ) I see a pub called The General Lee and there's a huge rebel flag on a pole out front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOUR ARE CORRECT, HOWEVER AMERICANS CALL THE CLOTH YOU PUT IN YOUR LAP NAPKINS, SIMPLY ALERT HER TO NOT ASK FOR A NAPKIN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE...
If I remember correctly the English call our "napkin" a "serviette". Oh, and french fries are called chips and chips are called crisps. And if a man tells you that he will knock you up at 7 am that means he will wake you (call on you) at 7 am......so don't smack him in the gob.:shocked:

Yikes! I'm thinking about getting some sort of on-the-body concealment clothing piece for the important stuff to keep the safest.

I used the thin wallet thing that hangs from a lanyard around your neck
And kept it inside my shirt

I enjoyed going to the British museum of natural history
I've heard of the Rosetta Stone all my life , but it was pretty cool to see it in person.

The gap between the train and the platform. People manage to fall in.

The most appreciated gifts I brought back From my trip were panties that had
"Mind the gap " printed on them

Also , when our tour guide overheard some of the women in our group saying
"I decided to wear pants today" (instead of a skirt or dress) he pointed out that "pants" means ladies underwear .

Trousers is the word they use for what we call pants

Also you might be surprised at some of the advertising
I was last there in 2004 and even back then A lot of newspapers and such had mostly naked people in the ads . No telling what it's like now

Figure out a way to visit some of the small towns and villages too

Back
Top Bottom