• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

England...

I just visited England and Paris last month. One of my favorite country's apart from the US was England. Police are well armed over there despite what people say. Check out these cops. Have fun! You will love it. Make sure to eat at the Crypt. Also see the Westminster abbey and the holocaust museum at the imperial war museum.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
I just visited England and Paris last month. One of my favorite country's apart from the US was England. Police are well armed over there despite what people say. Check out these cops. Have fun! You will love it. Make sure to eat at the Crypt. Also see the Westminster abbey and the holocaust museum at the imperial war museum.
This is relieving to see!!! Glad to see a gun in their hands! I'll add it to my list, thanks!!

We were there back in 2005 and had a blast; will be going back one day for sure. Here's a couple of things that we learned along the way:
1. They speak English, so no need for translators (sorry - inside joke).
2. Learn and use the trains for transit, and the doors on their trains slam shut with little warning. No even kidding about that. If it's beeping, you better get in or you'l be left behind (yeah, that happened to me).
3. Pubs are almost literally on every corner, and that's where most people eat.
4. Bulmers is amazing - drink it with every meal.
5. Do NOT block escalators but standing side by side with others - if you're going to stand still, stand to the one side or the other so people can walk by, or you'll get yelled at.
6. If you look like a tourist, you'll more than likely get targeted. Keep a front pocket wallet with your money / ID, and if you're going to carry a purse/handbag, go with an across the chest type instead of over the shoulder, and rotate it in front of you when standing on crowded trains or streets. RedHotShot RedHotShot now has a model with a locking zipper, which would have been great to have over there. Pickpocketing is pretty bad there, especially if you stand out as a tourist.
7. If you have a smart phone, go ahead and set up a Google Photos account (free) and jump on free wi-fi's when you can. Google will upload your photos to their server, and if you run out of space on your phone, you can delete the photos from your phone to free up space while keeping a copy "in the cloud". Will also give you a back up just in case something happens to your phone.
8. Lastly, check the exchange rate before you leave. Sometimes the conversion rate on credit cards is actually cheaper than converting American cash to the British pound, and you won't be traveling with as much cash.

REAL cute @RHelton10.......

Glad to see a gun in their hands!

Airport police, police guarding special locations, armed response units, are armed. Others just have to rely on personality. (One of my, American, wife's favorite TV shows in the uk is their version of "cops". Offenders get away with a bit more than they would here - caught driving with drugs but no insurance or id... let off with a warning etc!)

The wife and I spent a couple of weeks there in 2015....about this time of year. Weather was all over the place...take layers. We were in London for 5 or 6 days and still didn't come close to seeing everything.
I generally don't like urban areas and thought I would hate London. I was wrong. I'm not a big art or museum fan but I have to admit....places like Westminster Abbey, Tower of London and British Museum of Natural History blew me away. And the art galleries? Standing in front of a 20 ft tall Rembrandt is breathtaking.

We also toured Ireland (my favorite) and Scotland....go there if you can.

If you are just doing England then I highly recommend a few days in London...you have to see the changing of the Guard...and go in Herrod's.
No way I would take car into London...the tube is cheap and takes you everywhere you neeed to go. Buy a $25 pass and try to use it up...we didn't. My wife loved the parks and Castles in London.

Outside the city the old churches and pubs rule...the former for the history and the latter for the ambiance. Visit as many as you can. I hope your friends live there and are experienced drivers...I drove a couple of days in Ireland and it was terrifying.

Have fun.

(Oh and do "mind the gap". Lol. I literally fell out of the first train we took because my suitcase wheel hung in the "gap". The whole train, including me, busted a gut laughing at that circus!)

I was stationed at RAF Chicksands (now defunct base and grazing spot for sheep) from 1973 - 1976. My English neighbor was from Abergavany, Wales and he delighted in trying to get me to say those Welsh town names with all the double LL's in them in my Southern accent. He rolled on the floor laughing.

But, we took a weekend trip and visited his home town along with a lot of old castles (actually most were just lines of big rocks marking where the castle used to stand) along with a trip to Bath and other neat places. The food in the pubs was good but couldn't get over the 3 little ice cubes in a glass of warm coke with my meal.

We also visited London and he told me to make sure to bring plenty of pennies. Found out that almost all the public bathrooms have pay to use stalls and each took a penny. Now all these years later it probably cost a bit more or maybe you can swipe your card (beware the stuff they put in the stalls to swipe your bottom, it was like wax paper and would zip all the way up your back before you knew what hit you).

Enjoy your trip.
HA!! Wow!

Back
Top Bottom