• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

England...

Was there long before you were born while serving in the Navy. I'm sure it has changed dramatically since I've been, but it was really kewl back when I was just a young yute. The London Bridge, the Buckingham Palace, the queens guards and her jewels...the river Thames...Picidilly square...the double decker buses and the black taxies...the food was kind of hit and miss and you better like tea! Pics or it didn't happen.... :)
I'm stoked! I know we're going to Stonehenge, Paris, Hellfire Caves... not sure where else yet... I'll have plenty of pics to share with y'all!

Do not ask for a napkin, as that is what they call a babies diaper...Several other totally reverse items named differently
from us.

cc- that the never never card (refers to when it gets paid off)

sure others can tell you some of their sentences and phrases...

just a simple suggestion...

My lovely wife's mother's family is from "God's Country" which is Somerset County. South West England. Beautiful country. Glastonbury Tor, Bath, Weston Super Mare, Ham Hill, etc.

In the UK one hundred miles is a looooong way, and one hundred years was yesterday. If you tell someone in a rural area that you're driving from London to York they'll tell you that you should have started yesterday. Bill Bryson does a great covering this in some of his books.

One negative, even 20 years ago most of the local pubs were being bought out by giant corporation conglomerates. You'd see the exact same menu in pubs 50 miles apart. Most of the pub grub was shipped in frozen. But you can find neat places everywhere. London is still a great city, but as the Brits say, "The Empire Struck Back", and large places of London are now "Little (insert name of former British colony here)".

If you land at Heathrow you can immediately get on the train to London and pay for a ticket ON the train, just have a credit card. The London Underground is THE way to get around, but do study the maps, you can find two tube stations within walking distance, but they'll be half an hour apart if you take the tube (they'll be on different lines).

Talk to the Bobbies, they love Americans, and they think we talk funny.

Lastly, there's still a lot of folks who appreciate what the US did for the world in WW2. Lots, if not most, of the elderly Brits lost some relative in "The War". They've forgiven us for our little insurrection of 1776 based on saving their bacon twice.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom