• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

England...

Go to the original Hard Rock Cafe and when at a cross walk look right! They drive on the other side of the road. Pubs are like dry cleaners over here. Be on your toes, you may think people in the U.K. look like us, trust me in their eye we don't and we as Americans stand out.

Enjoy your trip

I lived there for 2 years. They think we have hacked up their language. When I was there 80-82, it was like stepping back in time.

The tv had 4 channels, the radio mixed everything from heavy metal to benny goodman (1930's) on the same program.

Try the beer in a pub (warm by our standards).

Dated a girl from Sheffield about 150 years ago and went for a visit and toured around the country. I hated London. Yes the history is impressive but the city was covered in scaffolding and was filthy. Felt like I couldn't even breathe the air (literally). Couldn't wait to get out of there. The countryside on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous! The little pubs out in the middle of no where were very cool. They are very, VERY serious about their specific brand of beer and soccer. The food absolutely sucked, everywhere though. I see you're going to Paris. There was no comparison to how much nicer Paris was over London. But, like I said, it's been a while, I understand like many places they are both measurable worse today.
Have fun, be safe.

We were there back in 2005 and had a blast; will be going back one day for sure. Here's a couple of things that we learned along the way:
1. They speak English, so no need for translators (sorry - inside joke).
2. Learn and use the trains for transit, and the doors on their trains slam shut with little warning. No even kidding about that. If it's beeping, you better get in or you'l be left behind (yeah, that happened to me).
3. Pubs are almost literally on every corner, and that's where most people eat.
4. Bulmers is amazing - drink it with every meal.
5. Do NOT block escalators but standing side by side with others - if you're going to stand still, stand to the one side or the other so people can walk by, or you'll get yelled at.
6. If you look like a tourist, you'll more than likely get targeted. Keep a front pocket wallet with your money / ID, and if you're going to carry a purse/handbag, go with an across the chest type instead of over the shoulder, and rotate it in front of you when standing on crowded trains or streets. @RedHotShot now has a model with a locking zipper, which would have been great to have over there. Pickpocketing is pretty bad there, especially if you stand out as a tourist.
7. If you have a smart phone, go ahead and set up a Google Photos account (free) and jump on free wi-fi's when you can. Google will upload your photos to their server, and if you run out of space on your phone, you can delete the photos from your phone to free up space while keeping a copy "in the cloud". Will also give you a back up just in case something happens to your phone.
8. Lastly, check the exchange rate before you leave. Sometimes the conversion rate on credit cards is actually cheaper than converting American cash to the British pound, and you won't be traveling with as much cash.

Back
Top Bottom