• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

English style stock refinish

IMG_3512.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
Some pics in the sun best shows color.

IMG_3515.JPG
Here is the slurry. And I have a dab on my finger. Now from my understanding by heating the turpentine. BLO, and beeswax together you change the molecular structure from a short chain to a long chain. This is what allows it to dry out to a harder finish. I did not add Venetian turpentine since I could not locate any that was actually pure or real. It would help for a harder shell type finish.

IMG_3516.JPG
Here is a piece of scrap Walnut I did about six or eight months ago. It was only sanded to about 400 grit. Final polish was at 1k grit. Nothing spectacular but it has held its satin sheen and is quite a firm oil finish.

IMG_3520.PNG
IMG_3519.PNG
IMG_3518.PNG
IMG_3517.PNG
And for the guy showing me and providing tips etc. this is his work. He makes big money doing stocks this way and finishes them at 25k grit!!! He also has roughly $150 in supplies in each stock and buys in bulk. He does excellent work. But he has also been doing it for many years.

In all reality if I was doing to do this finish on a stock I planned on putting in a rifle it would have to be a very good piece shape wise to start with. As stated mine is a practice piece.

IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG

Second coat is on the wood. First coat absorbed and dried rather quickly hanging under the vent in front of the window. Using just tip of my finger input enough on it to know it's there and rub it in and around until I don't see any slurry on top of the wood. I am forcing it into the grain as much as possible. Looks a little dark with the poor lighting in the room. Time will tell.

Third coat is on. Nothing spectacular to show. Weather is making drying in between coats take forever. Heat at night and nothing during the day. Might have to add some Jap driers to help speed things up along with a tad more thinner.

Back
Top Bottom