• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Entry level competitive shooting

Brettly1961

Default rank <500 posts
Fortified by Time
20   0
Reaction score
Hello, recently I have wanted to learn more about competitive targeting and shooting in classes more or less for EDC pistols. I Don’t pretend to know anything about the organizations or the classifications or the nomenclature, but I think it would be fun to compete in centerfire weapons 9 mm or 45 caliber in competitive shooting. Anybody know a good place to start on this little task?
Thanks

Hello, recently I have wanted to learn more about competitive targeting and shooting in classes more or less for EDC pistols. I Don’t pretend to know anything about the organizations or the classifications or the nomenclature, but I think it would be fun to compete in centerfire weapons 9 mm or 45 caliber in competitive shooting. Anybody know a good place to start on this little task?
Thanks
Checkout River Bend Action Pistol.

Depending on what part of town you’re in there are local IDPA and USPSA matches every week. I’m Cobb and Gwinnett they’re pretty common, I used to shoot 2-3 a week

Depending on what part of town you’re in there are local IDPA and USPSA matches every week. I’m Cobb and Gwinnett they’re pretty common, I used to shoot 2-3 a week
Yes sir that’s how basic I am I don’t know the IDPA from the USPSA but I’m gonna learn and I was just looking at some teaching apps at the iPhone store see if there’s anything there that might inform me

Watch YouTube videos. there is a lot of info on the different shooting organizations.
the Gwinnett area has several good shooting clubs. If you want to drive over to Roswell there is an IDPA match at sharpshooters that would be A good place to start. IDPA seems a little less intimidating to start But you could start with USPSA. You will meet a lot of good people and have fun if you enjoy shooting and can walk/ stand comfortably for about 3 hours. It is better if you know the start and finish commands before your first match but not mandatory. Shooting action pistol or carbine matches is like a lot of complicated skills, it can take a few years for Your skills to peak. Send me an IM if you want to talk, I regularly shoot with 4 organizations. Most people only shoot with one to maximize their performance in that organization.

Great suggestions. I’ve taken on pistol shooting and self defense as a “later in life” past time. I just turned 60 and I’ve been shooting for maybe 15 years and still have a lot to learn.

that’s what I glean from you experts. You all give me directions to keep searching in.

I may take you up on your offer to contact you regarding some training ideas thanks and have a great holiday!

(what did we ever do without YouTube?)

I shot my first IDPA match at like 23, by striking up a conversation with a guy at the walmart ammo line. I bitched that 9mm was expensive (had just gone up to $13/100) and he said "wait till you find out how expensive travel for matches is..." I met up with him at one, he showed me the ropes, and the old guys all made fun of me when I shot WAY too fast and missed everything, but I was hooked.

A few years later and I was a sponsored 3gun shooter helping run national matches. He was right, that **** got expensive!

the best thing you can do is show up and say Hi, tell them you are new, show them that you are safe, and ask questions. You will not win, don't even try to. Just focus on gun safety and the rules of the game you're playing. At the core they are the same, be safe, don't load a gun till you're told, be safe, don't shoot anything you're not supposed to, be safe, just go fast enough to make your hits, be safe, have fun. See the trend?

Steel challenge or GSSF would be good starts since there's no movement. IDPA has some (considered by many) to be dumb ass rules. USPSA is more "hey go figure out how to shoot this stuff as fast and accurately as possible" and 3 gun is the same but with more guns.

bring your carry gun or whatever decent service pistol in 9mm or better you are most comfy with, and a kydex OWB strong side holster. Bring as many loaded mags as you own. Bring 3x the ammo the match calls for. bring snacks and tell everyone you're new. We like new people. we were all new people ourselves.

PM me if you need any mag holders or holsters, I'll happily lend you whatever you need to get started.

You don't give any indication of your level of experience with shooting of any type. Assuming you are a complete novice, I'd start with training from individuals with credentials from RECOGNIZED orgs dedicated to teaching/competing. It wouldn't hurt to start with a class from a USCCA instructor (https://academy.usconcealedcarry.com/search?query=Peachtree Corners, Georgia&lat=33.9701&lng=-84.2216) near you.

If you just want to jump in, read some of the competitive shooting boards FAQs and stickies and ask questions then look locally for a match or two. Folks are generally helpful with new shooters as long as you demonstrate common sense and gun handling safety. The most helpful will see you are new and offer assistance/guidance. The assholes strutting around like their shyte don't stink are best left alone to bask in their own magnificent greatness. They won't be much help. Thankfully they are few in number.

Prepare to travel if you want to do it weekly or even monthly. Given your location I'd think you'd have lots of options.

Learn to shoot what you have and don't fall into the gear queer trap. You can't spend yourself into a competitive stature.

Back
Top Bottom