• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Entry level competitive shooting

Hello, recently I have wanted to learn more about competitive targeting and shooting in classes more or less for EDC pistols. I Don’t pretend to know anything about the organizations or the classifications or the nomenclature, but I think it would be fun to compete in centerfire weapons 9 mm or 45 caliber in competitive shooting. Anybody know a good place to start on this little task?
Thanks
same. in.

Something I always recommend to new shooters is a GSSF (outdoor) match. The indoor matches are OK as well, but you don;t get the feel of a real match shooting down an indoor lane at a few different distances.

You do need a Glock to compete, but it's all static shooting and the stages are well documented so you can review them ahead of time. It's very newbie friendly and probably the lowest stress way you can enter competition.

The GSSF web site lists them and they don't come around here locally that often (maybe twice a year), but they are a great way to break the ice.

My friends and I run a monthly IDPA match on the south side of town at South River Gun Club which comes up instantly on map apps. There's another great outdoor every month at Riverbend gun club Dawsonville. Then also Cherokee gun club on Chandler road Gainesville. Indoor matches almost every night of week but you stand around all night waiting and might shoot an actual 75 seconds total or a couple of stages. On the outdoor matches usually first half of the day 100-150 rounds. Sounds like IDPA for you but I also love USPSA for becoming the best overall shooter. We plan to have two vehicle scenario stages this month 23-24th, search practiscore.com for GADPA IDPA. If you need help getting off the ground message me private and I'll hook you up. Main thing is safety and learning those basic movements and procedures. I've seen people transform from knowing nothing to master shooters in a very short time frame. Many people like me shoot to keep skills sharp and hang out with friends. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom