• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Epic Road Trip for Kids Spring Break

reklawd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
2   0
Reaction score
Gas prices are so low I decided to take my 3 young kids on a road trip next week for Spring Break.

ATL all the way to Burlington, VT and back over 7 days.

Places we plan to visit
-the Caverns in Shannondoah Valley
-the Capital in DC
-a friends farm in Upstate NY (stony point)
-A Picture of Nectar, maple Syrup farm, Ben and Jerry’s in VT
-Salem, Mass
-the Liberty Bell in Philly
-a friends house in Morganton, NC

A lot of driving. Trying to save money by crashing a friends places and doing some tent camping.

I also have a road atlas and plan for my oldest to map the trip using a traditional road map like when I was a kid in the back of the station wagon, but they will have to wear seatbelts.

Any suggestions on place to visit?

DWizzle

Some random and not-very-exciting options:

VT - I'd say go out on a sailboat on Lake Champlain if it were July. Visit a dairy maybe if you can find one that is open, but I'm not sure you'll have luck before May. It's going to be cold. Burlington is not a big place. It's basically a little town square area and a university sloping down to the lake.

Consider skipping DC due to time constraints. You could spend the whole time there or in the area. But you know that already.

Harpers Ferry, WV, might be a good stop along the way if the weather is good and you want to walk up the trail over the town. Might be a lot for a little kid. I'm not sure.

Gettysburg? You can drive most of it and, if the weather's nice, plenty of places to walk around. Amish market in Hagerstown, MD, is pretty cool but I think it's only open a couple days a week. They're about an hour apart.

Gas prices are so low I decided to take my 3 young kids on a road trip next week for Spring Break.

ATL all the way to Burlington, VT and back over 7 days.

Places we plan to visit
-the Caverns in Shannondoah Valley
-the Capital in DC
-a friends farm in Upstate NY (stony Brook)
-A Picture of Nectar, maple Syrup farm, Ben and Jerry’s in VT
-Salem, Mass
-the Liberty Bell in Philly
-a friends house in Morganton, NC

A lot of driving. Trying to save money by crashing in hotels in the sticks instead of in metros and car camping at / near rest stops.

I also have a road atlas and plan for my oldest to map it it using a traditional road map like when I was a kid in the back of the station wagon, but they will have to wear seatbelts.

Any suggestions on place to visit? What about cheap places to spend the night?

DWizzle

That's more than a week to do it right. If you're going to Philly, a trip to Valley Forge is in order.

FYI... Stony Brook is on Long island, and is down state, No one refers it as upstate New York...
If you are really doing this trip check out Port Jefferson while on Long Island...

Those poor girls stuck with you in a car for a week......

I’ve done lots of road trips. I’ve gotten to the point where I find that I enjoy the trip more when I have more time to enjoy one place rather than trying to hit the highlights for many places. For a one-week trip I’d pick one l,ace on your list to spend most of the time, and try to hit the rest on some other trip.

1648640403179.png

Back
Top Bottom