• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ER nurse looking to buy masks/goggles

Necrosis

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Reaction score
ER nurse here, looking to buy surgical/dust masks, splash goggles/eye shields, N95s, and isolation gowns. I'm trying to accumulate some backup supplies for myself and my wife (ICU nurse) in the event that the hospital runs out of some or all of the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE).

Paying a fair price in cash money, I also have some ammo to trade if you would prefer.

Thanks for reading!

I have talked with nurses I know in my area and they are expressing the same concerns. I can’t get my mind around how this has happened. Is our supply chain that disconnected that local clinics and hospitals are in danger of not getting what they need?
I think much of it is centered around the ever changing recommendations of the CDC, which at first included using a new mask/face shield every time you enter the patient's room. This could be 10 or more times per patient during a couple hour stay in the ED, also take into account all the different team members who see the patient...not just the nurses (not to mention if they get admitted for 24-48 hours). So say a minimum of 10 masks and 10 face shields per patient that comes into the ED with any type of respiratory symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, fever, sore throat, etc) and I'd estimate about 25% of people I see coming into the ER have those complaints. My ER sees around 2,000 patients a week, that means we'd burning through 5,000 masks and face shields every week and that's just one small ER. The usage of PPE has increased tenfold in the last 2 weeks, by my estimation, and this is happening all over the country and in most of the world. Also factor in that production/transport of many supplies are down, lots of stuff comes from China and the trade issues there, lots of folks are panic buying...it has the potential to get bad.

From what I understand, we had a good stockpile but the single use instructions burned through a lot of PPE, we are now cleaning and reusing what we can and making the most use of what we've got. A week ago it would have been against policy to bleach wipe and reuse a facial shield or wear the same the mask all shift, now it IS the policy.

I think much of it is centered around the ever changing recommendations of the CDC, which at first included using a new mask/face shield every time you enter the patient's room. This could be 10 or more times per patient during a couple hour stay in the ED, also take into account all the different team members who see the patient...not just the nurses (not to mention if they get admitted for 24-48 hours). So say a minimum of 10 masks and 10 face shields per patient that comes into the ED with any type of respiratory symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, fever, sore throat, etc) and I'd estimate about 25% of people I see coming into the ER have those complaints. My ER sees around 2,000 patients a week, that means we'd burning through 5,000 masks and face shields every week and that's just one small ER. The usage of PPE has increased tenfold in the last 2 weeks, by my estimation, and this is happening all over the country and in most of the world. Also factor in that production/transport of many supplies are down, lots of stuff comes from China and the trade issues there, lots of folks are panic buying...it has the potential to get bad.

From what I understand, we had a good stockpile but the single use instructions burned through a lot of PPE, we are now cleaning and reusing what we can and making the most use of what we've got. A week ago it would have been against policy to bleach wipe and reuse a facial shield or wear the same the mask all shift, now it IS the policy.

https://kommandostore.com/

Top of the page on this website has a form for healthcare workers to fill out. They have some of the supplies you are looking for. Good luck and I hope you and your wife stay safe out there.

https://kommandostore.com/

Top of the page on this website has a form for healthcare workers to fill out. They have some of the supplies you are looking for. Good luck and I hope you and your wife stay safe out there.
Thanks for the info, I checked out the form but it looks to be only for bulk buys from organizations, I'll pass it along to my leadership.

Back
Top Bottom