• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

esee izula. its ok, why it so great?

no doubt, its a solid knife but given the price point i dont know why anyone would choose this over a folder

but thats just me
Some people are rough on knives and task for task the folder will break before a fixed blade. When/if you break your Esee, just send it in and get it replaced. Yea I drink the kool-ade too, I love my Izzy II.

Some people are rough on knives and task for task the folder will break before a fixed blade. When/if you break your Esee, just send it in and get it replaced. Yea I drink the kool-ade too, I love my Izzy II.
but thats what i dont understand

an EDC is supposed to be an everyday use, carry, a thing of convenience. i believe in having the right tool or the closest to best tool for the job. something quick and dirty, ya ill use the minigriptillian i have, but if i plan on doing anything heavy for a longer period of time i will get the appropriate tool (whether they be scissors, shears, an exacto knife, hatchet, etc.)

to me the esee izula offers none of these advantages as being practical or easy to use, mostly because a fixed blade is largely impractical to be used as an edc (IMO). not knocking the blade or the quality at all, i just dont see it purpose and why so many people like them?

i dont anticipate any of my folders breaking, mostly because i wouldnt be using them improperly, however im sure they would suffice in a pinch i suppose.

i read a review on amazon that said the izula was the best camping steak knife out there lol, but it made sense. as a mess kit or camp knife, it is wonderful. as an edc, not so much

They're OK. Fixed blades are not what I consider edc work knives, if that's why you bought it, but they should work fine for that purpose. Especially for outdoors and utility jobs. Fixed blades have their place, and so do folders. They would make a decent hunting knife, but there are others that I prefer.

but thats what i dont understand

an EDC is supposed to be an everyday use, carry, a thing of convenience. i believe in having the right tool or the closest to best tool for the job. something quick and dirty, ya ill use the minigriptillian i have, but if i plan on doing anything heavy for a longer period of time i will get the appropriate tool (whether they be scissors, shears, an exacto knife, hatchet, etc.)

to me the esee izula offers none of these advantages as being practical or easy to use, mostly because a fixed blade is largely impractical to be used as an edc (IMO). not knocking the blade or the quality at all, i just dont see it purpose and why so many people like them?

i dont anticipate any of my folders breaking, mostly because i wouldnt be using them improperly, however im sure they would suffice in a pinch i suppose.

i read a review on amazon that said the izula was the best camping steak knife out there lol, but it made sense. as a mess kit or camp knife, it is wonderful. as an edc, not so much
I do understand 'the right tool for the job', but most of the time I don't want to be running back and forth to the tool box. (Read: I'm lazy) I will concede to the fact that a folder is easier to EDC, but I neck carry and it works well for me. My daily attire is jeans and a T, but I can see where a fixed blade would be tough in say a suit. As far as a steak knife, it sucks. The blade is too thick.

I've EDCed an Izula for several years now.

Neck carry frees up pocket space and unsheathing is easy with one hand. You simply hold the grip like you would to use the knife and then push the sheath off with your thumb.

The paint on mine is pretty worn at this point so I'm in the process of stripping it all off. I'm going to either polish it or do a forced patina.

I and a couple of buddies have drank the ESEE Koop-aid as well, I bought the ESEE 5 and have been nothing but impressed with the blade and it has become my woods/hunting/fishing knife. The sheath does leave a little to be desired though. It is extremely tough and has excellent edge holding. Defiantly not for EDC unless you are in the woods everyday. I do keep it on my jump bag that I leave the house with but I EDC a spyderco or CRKT M16.

I switched to a fixed blade Candiru and Izula when i started concealing an LCP in my front right pocket. I needed a knife i could EDC while carrying my gun in my jeans pocket so i switched to a fixed blade on my belt. I carry my Izula more than my folders now.

They are meh... I have other preferences for fixed blade EDC but I rarely carry a fixed EDC, usually just a case trapper. If I do EDC a fixed blade it's usually my trusty buck gen 5, small very capable little knife.

Back
Top Bottom