• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Estimate Value of this Mosin please

155mmpaladin

Default rank <300 posts Lifetime Supporter
Tracker
47   0
Reaction score
Let the pics speak for themselves. Trying to figure out value and threading through the 7.62x54r.net pages gave me a headache. Any help or comments appreciated.

V/R
155mmpaladin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 74
Possible cartouche on stock? Bore is good. No pitting except the non-matching trigger guard. Was still coated with dried cosmoline when received and still has some on stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 68
That 'cartouche' is very faint, but at a glance, it looks like a German WW1 capture stamp (Deutches Reich)
Assuming that section of stock is original to the rifle, looks like a Mosin M91 captured by the Germans at some point in the Great War, put into storage, then sold to the Finns years later.

Actually, you have an M91 dragoon in a Finnish made pot belly stock. The barrel length is around 3” shorter than an M91 infantry rifle. M91 infantry rifles were made until 1926 by the Soviets. M91 dragoon rifles were made until 1932. They were phased out and/or updated to M91/30 specs in the years after WW2.

However, Finland captured your rifle during the Winter War of 39’ or the Continuation War of 41’. Your rifle went thru a Finnish armory and had a Finnish pot belly stock installed. Intact M91 Dragoon rifles are more difficult to locate than M91 infantry rifles. I would estimate the value of your rifle to be $300-$500 in today’s market. Of course only a collector would be interested in paying those prices.

Hope this helps.

'SA' mark does not necessarily indicate capture..that marking didn't come along until 1942 and is an ownership mark.
However, looking at the pic again, I may be incorrect about the German mark.

Wow.... thanks to all that posted. This is a keeper for me. Been on a kick to purchase old war fighting irons. Went to CMP in Aniston last year with the intent on walking away with a M1 Garand. Walked away with a National Postal Meter M1 carbine instead. So the hunt for a Garand continues.

Back
Top Bottom