• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Etowah River Kayak Fishing Question

Swab

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
As luck would have it, I sold my boat this weekend, right before summer no less. So, I decided to bring the kayak out of hibernation as well as pick up another one for my son to fish out of. Is anyone familiar with Etowah River Park? I hear there is a launch site there. How long is the float down to Knox Bridge ramp? I guess more importantly, is the fishing decent in that stretch?

Wish I could speak more about the Upper Etowah. I do the Lower Etowah a few miles downriver from the dam. We kill the spots and hybrids in the spring and stripes in the summer.

Wish I could speak more about the Upper Etowah. I do the Lower Etowah a few miles downriver from the dam. We kill the spots and hybrids in the spring and stripes in the summer.
Well, that's an option as well. Where do you put in and take out? I'm looking for something in the 2 to 4 hour range for the first couple trips.

As luck would have it, I sold my boat this weekend, right before summer no less. So, I decided to bring the kayak out of hibernation as well as pick up another one for my son to fish out of. Is anyone familiar with Etowah River Park? I hear there is a launch site there. How long is the float down to Knox Bridge ramp? I guess more importantly, is the fishing decent in that stretch?

I would look at fishing the Etowah over in Bartow Co. They have a great network of launch/recovery areas from Allatoona dam all the way to Rome. The problem with a Knox Bridge float is that you end up hitting the slow moving lake and then you have to paddle, and paddle, and paddle. The sign at the Canton launch says it could take up to 7 hours to make it to Knox Bridge. If you go further North up to East Cherokee dr. there is a place you can put in and then float down to the Canton park. Prod a 4 hour float or so.

A couple of links:

http://visitcartersvillega.org/etowah-river-trail/
http://www.etowahwatertrail.org/interactive-map/

There is also a new place to put in and take out on Hwy 113 (Rockmart Hwy) that doesn't show up on the map. I have floated from the dam down to that location and had a great time. Saw some big stripers too! But it took about 6 hours.

There is also a new place to put in and take out on Hwy 113 (Rockmart Hwy) that doesn't show up on the map. I have floated from the dam down to that location and had a great time. Saw some big stripers too! But it took about 6 hours.
Isn't there a a small dam below the Allatoona dam? Is it passable via kayak when they're not releasing water?

Well, that's an option as well. Where do you put in and take out? I'm looking for something in the 2 to 4 hour range for the first couple trips.

This is what I typically do. Red circles are put in, purple is take out. If you park at 41, your vehicle will just be on the side of the road. There is an old dam where you have to take out and portage around (red line). If you ever make it down here, shoot me a PM. Ill go fishing with ya.

river.PNG

Back
Top Bottom