• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Evap code Looking for a smoke generator

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
My Jeep Liberty is throwing evap codes. Anybody have a smoke generator for rent?
Or know a shop that would help diagnose a evap leak.
I just replaced the motor and it had been ok before they messed with it.

I know I could make one but I don’t have the time.

One thing you can try is carb cleaner.
Make sure that the engine is cold, and then start it with the hood up, then lightly spray carb cleaner around the hoses, gaskets and seals. The motor should rev up or bog down if you hit the leak with the carb cleaner.

One thing you can try is carb cleaner.
Make sure that the engine is cold, and then start it with the hood up, then lightly spray carb cleaner around the hoses, gaskets and seals. The motor should rev up or bog down if you hit the leak with the carb cleaner.
It’s not a vacuum leak. It is the monkey motion that collects the fumes from the gas tank and stores it in the canister for the next start cycle.
My car doesn’t even test the system but once every 200 miles and I cannot register the car until it passes smog.
Yeah it could be a bad gas cap. But it was working before the engine was replaced. It is throwing both P0455 and P0442 codes which is both little leak and large leak. So I really need to figure out where its leaking, hence the smoke generator.

You can buy a smoke pen cheap at a Hvac supply biz

But if it popped up After an engine swap I'd be double checking all the vacuum lines going to the evap canister
And check the canister for cracks

You can seal em with duct tape if you find a crack on the canister

My Jeep Liberty is throwing evap codes. Anybody have a smoke generator for rent?
Or know a shop that would help diagnose a evap leak.
I just replaced the motor and it had been ok before they messed with it.

I know I could make one but I don’t have the time.

What year Liberty and what p codes?

You should be able to trace out the lines with a factory maintenance manual. They fail even if never moved, after a motor swap, it is a given they are broken/unhooked and leaking.

You should be able to trace out the lines with a factory maintenance manual. They fail even if never moved, after a motor swap, it is a given they are broken/unhooked and leaking.
I have spent some serious time under the car looking at each and every one of the fuel lines and the evap lines and cannot find anything suspicious. (I am an aircraft mechanic). So it’s time for something different. If I can’t borrow a smoke generator I’ll make one.

[QUOTE="rockyfatcat, post: 7784201, member: 51377" (I am an aircraft mechanic).
.[/QUOTE]

How many plane systems do you work on without the MM?

If you want to go that way, freon detectors are easily found and freon can be used to pressurize the evap system. It will beep when you get near the leak.

Back
Top Bottom