• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever been asked to see tax stamp?

Why do y’all insist on making this stuff annoyingly difficult? You could just put the paperwork in the case or take a picture of it. Very simple. But do whatever you please and interpret the law however it suits you.

That's the thing, one entity says something and another says another. How do we know who to believe? I never took a class on NFA ownership to learn the rules.

The law says have it available if requested. The ATF even suggests keeping a picture on your phone. Makes it simple. But for some reason people want to be difficult.

Common sense isn’t common.

Good discussion guys.

I think I will take a picture of it and keep it on my phone. The original will be stored in the safe.

Maybe a color copy in the range bag.

The law says have it available if requested. The ATF even suggests keeping a picture on your phone. Makes it simple. But for some reason people want to be difficult.

No, the law does not say "have it with you." That implies possession. The law says "make it available" which is passive language, not implying possession. Sorry, but the NFA is already infringement...I go along because it's the rule of law, but I acknowledge the infringement...but now you want me to carry around private personal information in the off case that A) I encounter an ATF agent in the wild and B) find myself in the need to prove that I am legally allowed to own the thing I own? Possession is 9/10 of the law and even the ATF acknowledges that.

Tread harder, somewhere else.

Ok, understood. But when it says only show to ATF, how can a local LEO ask to see it if the issuing agency said only ATF? There needs to be a layman's terms pamphlet on this stuff so everyone can be on the same page. All I'm saying.

No, the law does not say "have it with you." That implies possession. The law says "make it available" which is passive language, not implying possession. Sorry, but the NFA is already infringement...I go along because it's the rule of law, but I acknowledge the infringement...but now you want me to carry around private personal information in the off case that A) I encounter an ATF agent in the wild and B) find myself in the need to prove that I am legally allowed to own the thing I own? Possession is 9/10 of the law and even the ATF acknowledges that.

Tread harder, somewhere else.

I don’t like the ATF either. Or half the laws the govt made. But still have to abide by them. Do you drive your vehicle and leave the registration and insurance info at home? Probably not. Or maybe you say screw all that and don’t have insurance or registration. Lol.

We all carry our personal info on us anyway. And if you have a phone, everything about you is on there. What’s having an extra picture?

It is highly unlikely you’ll be asked for it, but say you did. Say you got pulled over, a cop saw the case and asked about it. You refuse to answer questions about it, so the Officer is suspicious. He detains you, searches the vehicle, asks for the documentation and you don’t have it. Legally, they could arrest you on the spot because they don’t know if you are in possession of an illegal weapon. At the least, they could confiscate it and issue your a citation. Or detain you until someone brings the documents.

Cops can interpret the law however they choose in the moment, just like you can. Is it worth the headache?

Ok, understood. But when it says only show to ATF, how can a local LEO ask to see it if the issuing agency said only ATF? There needs to be a layman's terms pamphlet on this stuff so everyone can be on the same page. All I'm saying.

Police can ask if they are aware of local laws. If the law says No Open Carry (like Florida) and a Cop sees your pistol open carry; he can stop you. He can detain you, confiscate the firearm, issue a citation or arrest you.

So if local law says SBRs are illegal (which is the same for all states), say a cop sees one in your backseat during a traffic stop. First he’s going to be nervous. Second he’s going to investigate. They absolutely will detain you to determine if it’s a legal firearm. They do it all the time when a suspect has a firearm on them or in their vehicle. The police will always ask for your permit/ documentation. They will run the serial, take a picture, and add it to the report.

Back
Top Bottom