• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever had to draw your CCW or been tempted to???

jackstraw001

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
27   0
Reaction score
I've only been on ODT for a few months but I haven't seen this topic come up yet (I apologize in advance if I've missed previous threads on the topic). Have any of you ever had to draw your CCW in a self defense situation in a public place...or thought you might have to? What were the circumstances and what caused you to draw or not draw? I know we carry hoping to never have to use it but I wanted to hear from ODT members who have had to make that decision. Thanks.

UPDATE 4/24/13:

When I posted this question a couple nights ago, I had no idea that the topic would elicit this many comments or page views but I thought it was a topic worth discussing. Going to the range, talking about guns, buying/selling/trading guns here on ODT is a lot of fun...but ultimately we own handguns for self-defense and we need to be prepared for a situation we all hope never happens. There are many ODTers with military and LEO experience and training but a whole heck of a lot of us that don't, myself included. I hope and pray that I never have to draw my weapon other than at the range for practice but, if I do, God forbid, I want to make sure its the right decision. Thanks to Dr Larry for posting these words of wisdom:

Don't own a gun if you are not willing to pick it up or carry it.
Don't pick up or carry a gun unless you are willing to draw it.
Don't draw a gun unless you are willing to fire it.
Don't fire a gun unless you are willing to take another human's life.
Don't do any of these things if you have not thought all of this through and prepared yourself physically and mentally (as much as possible) for the consequences.
This is not a movie or a novel - it's real life. I guarantee you if you have to use your weapon, you will be scared to death - or should be.
Be safe, and value all life.

Last edited:
I won't go into all the details but, I will say that no rounds were fired and it looked really really bad and based on video I would have been justified if I had squeezed a round off. Per the police. Luckily I wasn't trigger happy. Natural selection did get the guy later. He died in a house fire he caused.

Yep.
I was in our downtown office (different city) after an attempted break-in (like 2am Sunday morning). After the cops had left, I was checking on some long computer runs I had started, when someone came back through the outer door and started banging on the opaque inner door. I sat there with my 357 magnum pointed at the door while I dialed the cops with the other hand. Fortunately, the door-banger left when the cops rolled up. They had to verify their identity before I opened the door for them.
I'd rather not be in that situation again.
All's well that ends well.

Yes.

A pimp was beating his ho with a broomstick in the parking lot of my condo. I hopped out of my truck with Mr. 1911 and he ran faster than any man I have ever seen.

I almost drew when a young man with no shirt and bloody nose bust into my small office building. He was panicking and looked high. I started to pull and tell him to get on the floor. He pled with me to let him use the phone and I did. He called 911 to tell them he had head butted his girlfriend. He practically had to beg them to send an ambulance which I thought was odd. I did keep a grip on the 9mm in my pocket the whole time.

That's funny. The guy I almost shot had his shirt up over his face ecause his nose was bleeding. His mothers chihuahua had just bit him on his nose. He deserved it.

Back
Top Bottom