• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everest

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Caught this movie a few months ago, have since been fascinated by the mountain and the people who attempt to climb it. Have watched a bunch of documentaries, and just finished reading Into Thin Air, which the movie was based on.

The movie is extremely well done. It reasonably honors the content of the book, written by Jon Krakauer, a journalist who was one of the climbers in the ill fated 1996 Everest climbing season.

After watching the movie, reading the book, watching numerous documentaries and interviews with the survivors, I'm convinced climbing Everest is one of the craziest and most beautiful human endeavors. The people who do it suffer mightily for weeks, even months, undertaking enormous risks, much of which can't be controlled. They knowingly put themselves in an extremely dangerous place, fully aware that one of the biggest hurdles is diminished skills due to hypoxia. Not to mention a bunch of other nasty and potentially fatal illnesses relating to high altitude, radiation exposure and extreme cold.

The sheer will it takes to overcome the pain and suffering involved is something I find hard to grasp.

And the Sherpa culture...those people are something else. Hard bark tough.

I'll have to check this movie out .I got hung up watching the Expedition Everest series a few years ago on Discovery Channel.It was a series and followed the 6 or 8 climbers through the whole trip.Some made it to the top ,most didn't for one reason or another.Several of them didn't make it because of a traffic jam from some other climbers trying to get to the top and by the time they had waited their turn through some of the narrows at the top they were getting low on oxygen and had to go back down.Some of the guys were on their 4th or 5th attempt and were planning on trying it again the next year.It costs pretty big money to even attempt the climb.I think they were talking about $25.000 a person.My wife couldn't understand why they were taking the risk but I understand fully.Maybe after I finish the Appalachian trail. LOL:)

I'm an Everest junkie. I've read and watched just about everything about it.

The latest movie was a little disappointing. But most of the documentaries are outstanding.
Check out the IMAX movie about Everest. It was actually filmed during the 1996 catastrophe. Well worth the money and effort to find it.

JMHO

I'm an Everest junkie. I've read and watched just about everything about it.

The latest movie was a little disappointing. But most of the documentaries are outstanding.
Check out the IMAX movie about Everest. It was actually filmed during the 1996 catastrophe. Well worth the money and effort to find it.

JMHO

What didn't you like about the movie? Did you read Into Thin Air?

Back
Top Bottom