• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AR-15 (but were afraid to ask) FEATURING GREG VESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if you install it and the fit and finish looks nice it'll be good to go!
I’ve got a black melonite gas tube to go with it, so it should look pretty bad ass.

I went with melonite because it sounds kinda like melatonin.

I’ll wait on doing the install until Greg comes in here and puts his stamp of approval on my parts.

Friend that built my first AR (1995ish in x39) told me that it was a Clinton era AWB upper and the flash hider was welded on. Thought for a little while that I was getting weak.

You’re right, we need to get back on subject....

greg vess greg vess SERIOUS QUESTION....

Gas block alignment has always been a problem for me. How do you get yours centered over the gas port and how do you make sure that it’s squared up perfectly on top of the barrel?

I’m going to be using this gas block

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...rd-barrel-750-inside-diameter-stainless-steel

View attachment 1567680

On this 18” 308 barrel

http://www.megaarms.com/maten/maten-barrels/new-barrel/
Usually I just make a small mark on the barrel inline with the gas port and then make one on the gas block and let it ride. I have never had a problem using that method. I make a small mark with a pencil right over the port on the gas block. If you get bad results with that then go to a more acccurate and elaborate method. Use calipers to get it dead center. Then I do the same with the barrel. Measure half the barrel width the calipers and make a small mark on the barrel. Once the gas block is installed just line the two marks up. If you are having a problem lining up the gas ports this would be a sure fire way to align the ports. I just center the gas tube by looking down the barrel and it usually works out for me. I haven't had a problem yet. You have actually have square sides so the measuring should be easy. Every thing looks good. Diameter of the gas block is the same as the barrel block seat. Most people just put to much thought into it. Also you want to check the end of the gas tube in the upper receiver to make sure it's straight. Just in case the tube isn't bent or improperly installed.

There is also a quick and easy method that will net you perfect alignment every time. I use to do this when I first started building. Take a piece of string or heavy fishing line and feed it though the barrel port and out the end of the barrel. Then take the other side of the line and feed it through the port in the gas block and out thought the end of the gas tube in the end of the upper reciever. The heavier the finshing line the better. Then align the two and just tighten it down just enough to see if you can put the line through the barrel, gas block and barrel very easily. One you are confident you have good alignment tight the gas block down. Real heavy salt water fishing line works the best. It's almost the diameter of the ports.

These are just a couple ways of making it easy to do and end up with good alignment every time. Lately I just eyeball it and I haven't had a problem over that last 20 builds or so.

Wait.... what?!

Because it’s JP or because it’s a clamp-on?

I specifically remember Greg saying JP stuff was good to go in another thread. That was why I chose it.
JP has good accessories. Nothing wrong with the I got from them. I mainly order their spring sets but they have a lot of the same products everyone else has. You just have to pick and choose like every where else.

Clamp on, but I will defer to the experts advise. Maybe if you install it and the fit and finish looks nice it'll be good to go!
Nothing wrong with a clamp on gas block. They use clamp on style gass blocks on piston guns all the time. The one he go looks like it was built like a tank. I wouldn't think twice about using it. There is more of a chance of two little set screws coming loose that four nice size bolts with a little thread locker on them for peace of mind.

Nothing wrong with a clamp on gas block. They use clamp on style gass blocks on piston guns all the time. The one he go looks like it was built like a tank. I wouldn't think twice about using it. There is more of a chance of two little set screws coming loose that four nice size bolts with a little thread locker on them for peace of mind.
:pound: this guy delivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom