• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AR-15 (but were afraid to ask) FEATURING GREG VESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok BangBang we are ready for a full range report. I am so exited for him I can't wait to here from him. It's a beautiful day and I know he is just out there blasting away. Alert, Alert, Alert. Rang reported wanted.

Ok BangBang we are ready for a full range report. I am so exited for him I can't wait to here from him. It's a beautiful day and I know he is just out there blasting away. Alert, Alert, Alert. Rang reported wanted.
Sorry to leave you hanging so long Greg, but the weekend was just too nice to spend much time online.

So I’m obviously still alive. LOL! So here’s the range report...

I used the Malaysian surplus 7.62x51 to setup my gas block since I *think* it was weaker than the Tula .308. I had a 10-round PMAG.

With the gas fully closed I would load one round into the mag and fire it. After each round I would back the gas adjustment screw out 1/4 turn until the bolt would consistently lock open on an empty mag.

At that point I tightened the set screw down to hold my main adjustment screw in place.

I then ran two 10-round mags of 7.62x51 and then two 10-round mags of .308 through the gun and it functioned PERFECTLY.

I was really just testing function and not really worrying about accuracy on this trip because all I have on the gun right now are some flip-up iron sights. Now that I know it functions flawlessly I’ll put some glass on the gun and the next trip will be about getting it sighted in and seeing what it can do!

I was really surprised by how LIGHT the recoil was. I’ve got a Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake on it and although it was LOUD AS HELL, it really didn’t kick much more than a 5.56 AR.

The sound wasn’t too bad when shooting the gun, but standing to the side while somebody else fired it was insane. Muffs alone almost weren’t enough. You almost need muffs+earplugs when standing beside the gun. The brake is reducing recoil by venting back and to the sides and you can tell it!

All in all, it was fun to get out and shoot it and get the gas adjusted and now I’m ready to get a scope on it and get it back to the range again!

you think the feed ramps need to be smoothed out?
20180314_154640.jpg

Yes a good polish wouldn't hurt and the bolt could use a good scrub as well. From this angle it looks like it's has either had a bunch of nasty ammo through it recently. That or the gun hasn't been cleaned real good in a while. It might just the angle of the pic but around the extractor looks like their is a little crust build up. Take a brash brush to that SOM Bi**h and a a gallon of solvent.:boink:

Yes a good polish wouldn't hurt and the bolt could use a good scrub as well. From this angle it looks like it's has either had a bunch of nasty ammo through it recently. That or the gun hasn't been cleaned real good in a while. It might just the angle of the pic but around the extractor looks like their is a little crust build up. Take a brash brush to that SOM Bi**h and a a gallon of solvent.:boink:
that's what it looks like after it's been scrubbed. still has some excess oil on it. it's had thousands of rounds of poop Tulammo through it over the last 6-8 years though, so there's that. still shoots good though, just won't feed now.

that's what it looks like after it's been scrubbed. still has some excess oil on it. it's had thousands of rounds of poop Tulammo through it over the last 6-8 years though, so there's that. still shoots good though, just won't feed now.
I would replace the bolt carrier group, the gas tube and block. That should get you back running again. Those components are inundated with carbon. You probably have limited or low gas pressure to the bolt and the bolt is so gommed up with carbon it just won't cycle properly. If the rifle is still in good condition and will last a good while longer than it's worth a small investment to keep a good rifle going.

you think the feed ramps need to be smoothed out?
View attachment 1574890
If you want to mail me the bolt I will strip it down to bare bones and scrape all the carbon off. That would let me see if I can't get it to break loose and cycle easy again. If you live closer I would just have you drop it off with a new gas tube and gas block and I would replace it for you for nothing. Then see if someone around you can replace the gas tube and gas block. If there is that much carbon on the BCG you can imagine how much is stuck in the gas tube and block.

So there is no way to clean the gas block and gas tube in an AR? It is pretty straightforward in an AK, but I am new to AR. Seems like cleaning all parts touched by the propellant gas would be a part of normal cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom