• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AR-15 (but were afraid to ask) FEATURING GREG VESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
greg vess greg vess or anyone else....SBR under 10".... I currently have a crappy 7.5" build; cheapest barrel I could find at the time...I'm wanting to upgrade....thinking about changing things up and would like to stick to 7.5", maybe 8 or 9" no longer. Best barrel for accuracy? DI or Piston? Should I just replace my crappy barrel or trade my upper for a PDW piston upper from Adams Arms? I'm not worried about the price, I want quality......Go! Thanks in advance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you had to put the length on the form, and you have to always be able to put it back to that length? If you listed 7.5" barrel on the form, you have to have a 7.5" upper available.

However, I doubt they'd ever check.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you had to put the length on the form, and you have to always be able to put it back to that length? If you listed 7.5" barrel on the form, you have to have a 7.5" upper available.

However, I doubt they'd ever check.

You're right, but if I changed the config permanently, I believe it's just a matter of sending them a letter. I want to keep it as is....7.5"....I just want to upgrade it so it's not a POS. I think I literally paid $50 for the current barrel and I get about a 20" group at 3 yards right now LOL

I would just replace piece by piece if your gun functions now. Noveske, Mega, and Rainier Arms, all have nice choices in those lengths. DI or Piston I don't think effects accuracy to the point you would see it on a really short barrel. Then I would change out he bolt carrier group and go with premium parts manufacture part there you might want to go with the barrel manufacturer for you BCG. You will get a good match then. Also Spend a little money on the trigger. Depending on who you go with you could come out of this with a kick ass SBR.

I am sure there are few guys out there that could recommend a better set up for less but let's just see if they comment on here.

I really am just looking at changing out the barrel and hand guard which are junk. Everything else is good. I have a Geiselle SSA-E trigger, BCM BCG, ect.....for a 7.5" would you stick with DI or run piston? I've looked at the AA PDW uppers which are piston and they seem pretty nice from what I read. If I stick with DI, I might check out using that carbine length pigtail gas tube. I don't plan to run it suppressed as I don't want to **** with the mnfg warranty on my 5.56 cans running them on one so short, just want to make my cheap ass jack ass gun higher quality and worth shooting.

I think Noveske and Mega both had 7.5 lengths available. I would think that pig tail gas tube would soften it up a bit. Maybe an adjustable gas block might slow the cyclic rate down a tad as well. They aren't so expensive that it wouldn't hurt to try one. Here is a write up on adj. Gas blocks.https://www.pewpewtactical.com/adjustable-gas-blocks-complete-guide/

Odin works seems to get the higher marks on adj. gas blocks.
On the subject of gas blocks, what style do you consider best? Clamp-on, set screw or pinned?

Is one type really that much better than another or will it depend more on the intended purpose of the gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom