• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Evidence Training Helps

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
My bother has several capable firearms for home defense and personal protection,
but he won't train with them! Never has, even when ammo was cheap and plentiful.
He won't practice with his guns. He shoots them maybe one range session every five years, and only because somebody else urges him to --like me or like one of his teenage or adult children.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF good arguments that are logical and sound and preferably backed by studies involving scientifically valid data showing that people who train and using firearms are more effective at using those firearms so much more effective that it is likely to make a difference.

(Keep in mind That the difference between shooting a 2 inch group and a 4 inch group at self-defense distances doesn't matter worth a crap. He is not a competitive shooter and he doesn't care about accumulating points on a bull's-eye. We're only talking about a practical difference that could mean you win a gun fight because you're trained and you would've lost and gotten yourself killed if you haven't trained ahead of time.)

Are there any articles and gun magazines law-enforcement or security related websites that have the data I can show him?

PS: He seems to think that if he has to use these guns in an emergency he will be more confident and capable, handling them more swiftly and smoothly, than he can when he occasionally shoots them at the range. He's often clumsy and awkward at the range and clearly is not familiar with how his own guns operate.

But he thinks that due to the adrenaline dump in his system during a real crisis,
and knowing that life or death is on the line,
he thinks that THEN he will turn into a John Wick, and perform better than we could ever have imagined.

My bother has several capable firearms for home defense and personal protection,
but he won't train with them! Never has, even when ammo was cheap and plentiful.
He won't practice with his guns. He shoots them maybe one range session every five years, and only because somebody else urges him to --like me or like one of his teenage or adult children.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF good arguments that are logical and sound and preferably backed by studies involving scientifically valid data showing that people who train and using firearms are more effective at using those firearms so much more effective that it is likely to make a difference.

(Keep in mind That the difference between shooting a 2 inch group and a 4 inch group at self-defense distances doesn't matter worth a crap. He is not a competitive shooter and he doesn't care about accumulating points on a bull's-eye. We're only talking about a practical difference that could mean you win a gun fight because you're trained and you would've lost and gotten yourself killed if you haven't trained ahead of time.)

Are there any articles and gun magazines law-enforcement or security related websites that have the data I can show him?

USCCA has some downloads and videos available on their website under the training side. And, I subscribe to CCW Safe weekly newsletters which usually reviews self-defense shooting cases and what could have been done differently from a legal perspective. Sounds like he's living under an illusion. Practicing helps train the muscles and training utilizing proper grip will help put shots on target. A weak grip will send those shells elsewhere.

I don’t know that you talking to him or showing him videos or articles will help. He’s in his own world where it concerns firearms and self defense.

Offer to pay for a class, one on one, with one of our resident trainers like cmshoot cmshoot Let him shoot at targets at the range for a bit to “warm up”. Next have the trainer get in his ear, introduce malfunctions, make him move, engage multiple targets, etc. I’m sure our trainers would be able to demonstrate and show him why training is crucial.

You train with a firearm for the same reason athletes train. So when game day gets here you at least have a chance.

Short of that, cross your fingers and say a prayer he nor his loved ones are ever in a situation where he has to defend them.

Some people who own firearms just don't enjoy shooting or training very much. Do your best to convince him to shoot a box or two every 2 or 3 months to keep skills fresh. If you have an outdoor property to shoot on instead off an indoor range it can make the trip a lot more enjoyable then indoor ranges.

Have a family member who did not see the value in professional training for a handgun that would only be fired a few times each year. I explained this was exactly the reason training is needed and arranged for instruction. After a few lessons, I beleive the message finally began to sink in that during times of intense stress, we need to be able to function automatically without having to think about each step.

I can tell you from experience (I know that's not worth anything in this situation), that when extreme stress hits and adrenaline dumps, you go more into caveman mode and loose your fine motor skills. Your fall back to your training, if you don't have any then you will be a total wreck when seconds count. I'm sure there are studies out there, unfortunately I don't have the time to look them up.

Back
Top Bottom