• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Evolution of the Combat Optic

Well, that's cool. I exclusively run LPVOs on my carbines now for all the reasons stated in this article plus the fact they can be focused to the shooter. That's a big deal for older eyes. I have off set flip up BUIS on all the weapons, too.

All of the LPVOs are 1.5x - 6x on a 30mm tube with illuminated reticle and hold over gradients in the reticle calibrated for 55gr to 62gr. 5.56 while at 6x out to 600 yards. With a little experimentation and practice those hold overs are easily adapted to different rounds. Ironically, they are the least expensive optics I own, but are solid as a rock and have been completely reliable. My choice was not based on price point, but on the capabilities of the optic and they work great.

Well can you tell us which one you like?

Good read.
The Abrams had an excellent fire control system decades ago.
Iirc 700m troop targets were no problem.

A small arm optic should be able to accomidate most of the same inputs and display a computer generated reticle.
Even down to being able to adjust the aim of the rifle independent of the relative position of the stock.

If the stabilized and perfected reticle is held or tracked on target, then the computer should be able to put the bore where it needs to be. Imagine just pressing a button instead of that crude manual trigger.

(The next generation of small arms probably won't demand precision optics. Something like a weapon of local directed mass destruction with left and right limits)

Does anyone know if the U.S. military currently issues some sort of optic with every rifle/carbine or does it vary between branches and units?

I was a high Expert with an iron-sighted M16A2 every year in the Corps, and us Marines shoot them out to 500yds. Nowadays, I run optics on all my serious rifles and carbines. Why? The article tells ya why.

That's why Uncle Sam's Misfit Children are badasses.
Army could only handle 300m.

TYFYS and Semper Fi!
Great article.

Well can you tell us which one you like?
media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_881_881514.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...6x-32mm-illuminated-ballistic-x-reticle-matte

Just so you know what price point I can tolerate, I have Nightforces on five other weapons. This scope just happens to fill my needs perfectly. The fact it only costs $200 is just another plus.

Also, the reticle shown in the link is not correct. It actually has a Xmass tree reticle to take into account a 10mph crosswind and is much better defined. The entire Xmass tree illuminates, so it's almost like using a large pyramid dot during CQB.

Does anyone know if the U.S. military currently issues some sort of optic with every rifle/carbine or does it vary between branches and units?

The US military is issuing optics for most, if not all, front line troops (and most POG’s as well!). Varies by branch and purpose, but it’s a mix of ACOG’s, Aimpoints, and Eotechs. SpecOps units are fielding a wide array of optics.

Back
Top Bottom