• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Excellent prepper/survival radio

Thanks. They still restricted something.
It’s all about the wording. The original UV5R would access FRS frequencies and frequencies that required a license. That’s never been ok nor legal. Baofeng knew that and produced and sold the radios here anyways. The FCC finally took action which forced Baofeng to redesign the radios, which was a matter of updating the firmware, to be compliant with long standing US law. It’s not a case of Big Brother this time.

https://survivalblog.com/2019/06/20/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/

It’s all about the wording. The original UV5R would access FRS frequencies and frequencies that required a license. That’s never been ok nor legal. Baofeng knew that and produced and sold the radios here anyways. The FCC finally took action which forced Baofeng to redesign the radios, which was a matter of updating the firmware, to be compliant with long standing US law. It’s not a case of Big Brother this time.

https://survivalblog.com/2019/06/20/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/
Not sure I agree with that logic. I can buy a HAM/SW transceiver and listen but not transmit without a license Why shouldn't I be able to buy the original Baofeng and listen. If you don't like the term Big Brother how about government overreach. Every new little freedom of mine that they take away is another step down the path to serfdom.

Not sure I agree with that logic. I can buy a HAM/SW transceiver and listen but not transmit without a license Why shouldn't I be able to buy the original Baofeng and listen. If you don't like the term Big Brother how about government overreach. Every new little freedom of mine that they take away is another step down the path to serfdom.
The manufacturer knowingly produced and marketed radios that violated regulations that have been in place for a long time. I seriously doubt you had a problem with the regulation until someone told you you couldn’t have a radio you had no interest in prior to that time.
If you feel that strongly about it take it up with the FCC and your Congress critter. Complaining here is just complaining. :)

Back
Top Bottom