• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Exonumia. Anybody into it?

Now we're getting somewhere . . . . !

I only have one.

Z

View attachment 5175985
View attachment 5175986
My Mom used to tell about saving these up until they had enough for all four kids and they would ride the bus into East Point and could use those to go see a movie.
I've never seen one in person before, thanks for posting that and reminding me of that memory.

Ringleader Ringleader

How about a few historical Masonic Pennies?

Z

View attachment 5177115View attachment 5177116
View attachment 5177117View attachment 5177121View attachment 5177126View attachment 5177127

And here is the MONSTER I mentioned earlier.

This slab of copper actually encases two Lincoln Wheat Ear Cents. It measures 63mm in diameter and is 10mm thick. It weighs in at over 10 ounces.

It looks to be all hand inscribed. I haven't done any research yet on where it originated, but it is massive, unique, and probably qualifies as a weapon . . . .

View attachment 5177170View attachment 5177171View attachment 5177172

Z
PM sent

Whatisit? Junk, play money or mexican amusement park coin? AD8FC750-AFF7-4A80-B823-F2694DB49634.jpeg2A4B51EA-21BA-4144-A4C2-3D11E4CF29C6.jpeg

Interesting… I’ve had it about 5-6 years just haven’t found anything in my limited search that matched or came close.
Peru; 1556-1598 Spanish Colonial Philip II One of four varients from 1577-1589. Obverse; mint mark and assayers initial at side; PHILIPPVS D.G. HISPANIARVM. From Coinect website. Your mileage may vary.

Peru; 1556-1598 Spanish Colonial Philip II One of four varients from 1577-1589. Obverse; mint mark and assayers initial at side; PHILIPPVS D.G. HISPANIARVM. From Coinect website. Your mileage may vary.
Wow… that’s amazing the info you shot back in 10 mins on something I didn’t really have a clue about! Thanks!

Ringleader Ringleader

How about a few historical Masonic Pennies?

Z

View attachment 5177115View attachment 5177116
View attachment 5177117View attachment 5177121View attachment 5177126View attachment 5177127

And here is the MONSTER I mentioned earlier.

This slab of copper actually encases two Lincoln Wheat Ear Cents. It measures 63mm in diameter and is 10mm thick. It weighs in at over 10 ounces.

It looks to be all hand inscribed. I haven't done any research yet on where it originated, but it is massive, unique, and probably qualifies as a weapon . . . .

View attachment 5177170View attachment 5177171View attachment 5177172

Z
So we need to get together on these Masonic coins. Buy, sell, trade, something.

My Mom used to tell about saving these up until they had enough for all four kids and they would ride the bus into East Point and could use those to go see a movie.
I've never seen one in person before, thanks for posting that and reminding me of that memory.
In the mid 1950's my Grandmother used Capitola flour for all her baking and she always bought the 10 pound bag. As soon as she opened a new bag I would be rooting around for the small white envelope that had the token(s) inside. It was mine for the taking. They came in 2 varieties, one was for free admission to a movie and the other was good for .25 in trade. The 10 pound bags usually held 2 and it was luck of the draw as to which ones you got. On Saturday morning mom or dad would drop me off at the Grove Theater on Bankhead Highway in Atlanta, not far from West Fulton High School, and I would take my tokens, one to get in and one for snacks. The .25 in trade would buy a box of popcorn, a coke, a Baby Ruth bar and a hotdog and I was set for hours of movie watching fun.

Over the years I have also found some of the Capitola tokens that are made out of a fiber and the one I have is blue and quite neat looking. I have accumulated these tokens over a lot of years but have no idea how many I have.

My favorite memory was taking one for the quarter in trade along with 5 or 6 Coke bottles that I found down to Rakestraws grocery store and gas station at the end of North Center Hill Avenue (I lived at 890 on that street) and he would give me 2 cents each deposit on the bottles and along with the token I could stock up on candy bars, bubble gum, licorice sticks and 2 for a penny cookies. Those were the best of times.

Back
Top Bottom