• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

experienced long range shooters

warren

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I need some advice. I'm currently putting together my first purpose built long range rifle. I'm currently looking for optics to mount on it, and I've found the glass i want, but my delima is that this particular scope comes in 2 variations. One is mil/mil, and the other is 1/4 moa. I have no experience with mil/mil and am wandering if it is better for longer ranges than 1/4 moa. The mil/mil version is slightly cheaper, but not enough to be a decision maker. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Mil/mil is what everyone is going to be cause what you see in the glass is what correction you make on the knobs.

So if you fire a round and it hits 1.6 mils high, just dial down 1.6 mils.

If you shoot and it hits 1.6 mils high how many 1/4 moa's is that?

Personally either system will work. I shoot moa because that's what I've got.

Thanks folks! I think I'm going to stick with 1/4MOA. I won't have to learn new math either.

Good plan. There is enough math in long range shooting already. You don't want to learn a new system if you don't have too. The only curve I'll through you is that if you get a scope that has 1/8 rather than 1/4 adjustments, it will be easier to dial in a more accurate scope setting at very long range. Each click on a 1/4 adjustment scope is 2.5 inches at 1000 yards. That's not much, but if you're not anal enough for that much POI movement to bother you, you probably don't have the basic personality needed to be a good long range shooter. LOL!

On my 700, i have a SWFA with 1/4moa and if i know my adjustments aren't dead center, i calculate hold over. I also log every shot in my data book, so if i don't hit, i will know why and how to keep from making the same mistake twice. I've only shot out to 800 meters though. Mainly because that is the longest range I've been on. The rifle I'm working on is a .243 win, and once i get the right hand load figured out, i want to take it to 1000 meters. Once again, thank you guys for the insight. I thought i would try something new with mil/mil, but i think it will be better to stick with what I'm already comfortable with.

Are you trying to hit a man sized target or make small little holes? For a tac rifle DO NOT get 1/8 adjustments. That is absolutely asinine. I personally think mils are easier.

Last edited:
Are you trying to hit a man sized target or make small little holes? For a tac rifle DO NOT get 1/8 adjustments. That is absolutely asinine. I personally think mils are easier.

OK, how is having a piece of equipment that allows you to make more refined adjustments "asinine"? Unless, of course, you're one of those people that are still counting clicks rather than reading the dial.

Back
Top Bottom