• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Exposing your weapon to the undesirable?

Wheeler, I like what you said about being in the wrong place to begin with. I carry to protect myself. I try not to have to protect myself. I used to box, but I do not go looking for a boxing match. The weapon I carry does not make me bullet proof or invisible. If I find myself in a situation where I may have to protect myself, I am looking for a way out of that situation, not a confrontation. I am afraid that some who carry think that gun on their hip, or in their waistband will solve any problem they have. The best way to protect ourselves is to use common sense, not use a gun.

On the other hand, there are other ways to handle the situation, first and foremost is to not get into it to begin with. If you wouldn't go there without a gun, don't go there with one. Be aware of your surroundings and who and what is in them. Pepper or OC spray is a good alternative as well.

Just some fast food for thought :)

Wheeler

Wheeler, I like what you said about being in the wrong place to begin with. I carry to protect myself. I try not to have to protect myself. I used to box, but I do not go looking for a boxing match. The weapon I carry does not make me bullet proof or invisible. If I find myself in a situation where I may have to protect myself, I am looking for a way out of that situation, not a confrontation. I am afraid that some who carry think that gun on their hip, or in their waistband will solve any problem they have. The best way to protect ourselves is to use common sense, not use a gun.

Well said.

I carry to protect myself. I try not to have to protect myself. I used to box, but I do not go looking for a boxing match. The weapon I carry does not make me bullet proof or invisible. If I find myself in a situation where I may have to protect myself, I am looking for a way out of that situation, not a confrontation. I am afraid that some who carry think that gun on their hip, or in their waistband will solve any problem they have. The best way to protect ourselves is to use common sense, not use a gun.

That's the entire philosophy summed up better than I could ever do it. One of the downsides of taking firearms training classes is that we tend to think like hammers, and see all problems as nails. The best piece of advice I ever got when I started to pack is "When you start carrying a gun, you give up your right to defend your honor."

That's the entire philosophy summed up better than I could ever do it. One of the downsides of taking firearms training classes is that we tend to think like hammers, and see all problems as nails. The best piece of advice I ever got when I started to pack is "When you start carrying a gun, you give up your right to defend your honor."

You said a mouthful. The first thing that carrying a gun has to kill is a bad temper. Then goeth pride. One of my first jobs post army was as a cab driver. One day I picked up a guy. When I looked at him I recognized him as the guy who had selpt with my soon to be ex-wife. Man, that 9MM in the shoulder holster was screaming.

I'm nobodys expert or pro but I think the first step in self-defense is "don't be there". If you don't get into trouble you don't have to get out of it. The second thing is situational awareness. If you see it coming ahead of time, you can get a head start on avoiding it. Now, if and/or when all that fails, well then you better be ready to defend yourself using whatever means neccessary. My opinion. And we know what opinions are like.

I suppose I should have elaborated! FROM A LEGAL STANDPOINT ONLY!

While having been trained in various degrees of self defense, to include military training, when push comes to shove, I'm going to SHOVE, without ANY reservations of using deadly force.

Like my motto says; "I don’t wanna have to fight you, but I damn sure will!" And I stand by it!!! Fear is only a state of mind!

However, while MOST people would not deliberately position themselves (excluding “The Mechanic”) to the situation on topic, we ALL know that we cannot always avoid the undesirable areas; besides, I should be able to go into Atlanta if I choose! But Road Rage would be good example of what I am speaking of, because not every situation is extreme!

But after having read some of the recent posts with regards to exposing a weapon to thwart off a situation, just a bullet was the first thought that came to mind.

Last edited:
Diligent,

I think that law enforcement and the State's Attorney would see that as issuing a challenge, not as a warning or a move to defuse the situation. My apologies for misunderstanding the intent of your original post. What I might suggest, if you haven't already pursued this option, is to find a class that teaches the body language of aggresion. Protective Measures might have some input or suggestions in this regard.

Road Rage is an excellent example. My suggestion for that is to engage the brain for a few crucial seconds, long enough to ask "What can I do to remove myself from this situation?" Letting them get in front of you and turning off might be a good way. If you can't extract yourself, then placing a call to 911 might be worth the effort. At one time, when I was a lot younger and my temper would control my actions, I had a guy come after me on I85. He had me so mad, that I had my pistol out, angling to get beside him so I could empty the magazine into his hood. I still to this day thank God that my brain engaged just long enough to realize what I was about to do, and that lesson has stuck with me.

While Georgia has passed into law that we no longer have a Duty to Retreat, that still doesn't mean that we should not try to remove ourselves from the situation. As I stated above, I think that the current generation of gangbangers, street punks and thugs would see that as a challenge issued, rather than a pointed warning. From what my friends in law enforcement tell me, most of them aren't scared of someone pointing a gun at them, so if it gets to that point, I would dare say that bullets will have to fly before feet start to pound pavement.

Wheeler

Diligent,

I think that law enforcement and the State's Attorney would see that as issuing a challenge, not as a warning or a move to defuse the situation. My apologies for misunderstanding the intent of your original post. What I might suggest, if you haven't already pursued this option, is to find a class that teaches the body language of aggresion. Protective Measures might have some input or suggestions in this regard.

Road Rage is an excellent example. My suggestion for that is to engage the brain for a few crucial seconds, long enough to ask "What can I do to remove myself from this situation?" Letting them get in front of you and turning off might be a good way. If you can't extract yourself, then placing a call to 911 might be worth the effort. At one time, when I was a lot younger and my temper would control my actions, I had a guy come after me on I85. He had me so mad, that I had my pistol out, angling to get beside him so I could empty the magazine into his hood. I still to this day thank God that my brain engaged just long enough to realize what I was about to do, and that lesson has stuck with me.

While Georgia has passed into law that we no longer have a Duty to Retreat, that still doesn't mean that we should not try to remove ourselves from the situation. As I stated above, I think that the current generation of gangbangers, street punks and thugs would see that as a challenge issued, rather than a pointed warning. From what my friends in law enforcement tell me, most of them aren't scared of someone pointing a gun at them, so if it gets to that point, I would dare say that bullets will have to fly before feet start to pound pavement.

Wheeler

At this stage of the game at 54; I just live life, and deal with it as it occurs. Being a reasonable and responsible person, I don't position myself for altercation or debate, and would rather walk away than have to fight you. To take classes on body language and the like is beyond my comprehension for basic life. It is just a CYA scenario from a LEGAL standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom