• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Extended mag release question...

John Moses Browning

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
What percentage of people do you think could/would utilize the advantage of an extended mad release? I have a feeling that the majority of people would do better with extended release. That being said, it seems common sense that manufacturers would make those standard on all their handguns and then offer a short release in the aftermarket. Seems like it may cost them a penny or 2 more to make it longer to start with. Am I missing something? Is there a good reason why most people wouldn't want it? My grip doesn't depress the extended release but maybe i'm the weird one? Is there a liability issue I am overlooking?

Just curious. I will hang up and listen.

It can get in the way and catch up on things. I have handguns with extended releases, I have some where I prefer not to have em. I never struggled with a standard mag release. For a competition gun, an extended can shave time, but you also run a higher risk of inadvertently engaging it and dropping your mag.

I have had problems with standard magazine release buttons getting pushed in accidentally.

While on my hip in a holster --a good quality stiff leather holster usually.

For one of the guns this happened repeatedly with, a little 380, I actually ground the magazine release button flush with the frame.

I can still release it with my fingernail, and certainly with a car key a pen or pencil, the tip of a cartridge, or even the rim of a cartridge case.

But I gave up fast magazine changes for the security of knowing my mag won't pop loose when I'm carrying it and I press my body up against the wall, lay on the ground to check that funny noise under the car, or wedge my fat butt into a chair with rigid armrests.

It can get in the way and catch up on things. I have handguns with extended releases, I have some where I prefer not to have em. I never struggled with a standard mag release. For a competition gun, an extended can shave time, but you also run a higher risk of inadvertently engaging it and dropping your mag.
Good points, I figured something like this.

2paYOHihxzYmGHY4vng_yIZLIQUPkdqWQAqM5N5haPQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom