• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

extra full choke 20 ga. Mossberg?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge that uses the screw-in choke tubes.
The factory tubes are short little things, only about 2" long.
I have never patterned this gun at 40 yards, shooting at 30" circles and counting the pellets that stay in that circle, but from my experience shooting big paper and cardboard targets at 25 yards, I'd say it patterns more like a "modified" choke gun, even with the "FULL" tube in place.

I'd like to get a very tight choke tube for it, and I'm OK with one that sticks out a few inches beyond the current end of the barrel.

What can you recommend for me?

I have two purposes in mind for this choke:

1-- turkey hunting in the future. I have bagged a turkey with the factory "full" choke several years ago, but when I butchered the bird I found only a few pellet strikes, spaced inches apart. I got lucky on that hunt; next time I want to clobber the bird with at least a dozen pellets in the body if I point the gun correctly.

2-- I need to prune some limbs off a tree. The limbs are out of reach of a pole saw, and I'm not hiring a tree service or renting spiked boots and a harness to climb up there and do it myself. I have used this shotgun to blast 1" diameter limbs completely off the tree with one shot out to about 25 feet, but beyond that it takes more shots. Some of the bigger limbs (2" diameter) never fall free, but will, at most, collapse and hang straight down, still attached to the tree by the damaged section of wood.

(where I'll be using it, it's no problem to launch birdshot in the air. But I can't do it with buckshot or .22 rifles or any other real bullets).

P.S. According to various internet souces, a Mossberg 500's choke tubes are interchangble with interchanges with "Trulock’s Winchester-Browning-Moss style" Another says not just any Browning, but the Browning "Invector" series of chokes. Yet another adds "Weatherby" to the list of interchangeability options. (I'm not even sure what all this means. I've never shopped for chokes before).

IMG_6196.PNG

How about this one?

P.S. According to various internet souces, a Mossberg 500's choke tubes are interchangble with interchanges with "Trulock’s Winchester-Browning-Moss style" Another says not just any Browning, but the Browning "Invector" series of chokes. Yet another adds "Weatherby" to the list of interchangeability options. (I'm not even sure what all this means. I've never shopped for chokes before).

Mossberg uses the Winchester Winchoke System, which is the original modern interchangeable choke system. Typically the flush chokes are short.

Many other brands use the same system, but of course, they have to give it their own name. It can make shopping easier if you look for "Winchoke" as that is the most common trade name choke makers will use.

Trulock is a Georgia custom choke maker, there are a couple of other well known one's, Kick's probably being the best known. Comp-n-Choke is another one that I favor because I know the owners. Any makers "Winchokes" should fit and the difference in the established brands is purely illusory. If you were really seriously involved in a game (trap, turkey, card shooting) you could send your barrel to Comp-n-Choke and they will fit a choke that will throw the exact pattern you desire.

The reason you read you should only use Browning "Invector" chokes (same as Winchokes) is that as shotguns evolved in the years after the introduction of Winchoke, manufacturers introduced factory "overbore" barrels. Technically they weren't "overbore" because they were standard for that gun but that's a philosophical discussion for later. Manufacturers also moved to having longer chokes, the idea being that a longer internal choke would give more consistent patterns. So gunmakers introduced 2nd and 3rd generation chokes, and they had to give them different thread pattern to prevent them from being put into the wrong barrels. Browning is up to the Invector Plus, which is not the same as the Invector. Beretta is up to its 3rd generation I think (none of them interchangeable with Winchoke). Each manufacturer comes up with its own name so it doesn't have to use the "Winchoke" name -which is probably trademarked anyway.

Not an expert on Mossberg, but I think the 800 series Mossbergs are "overbore" and use a different series of chokes.

Back
Top Bottom