• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F-100 Rebuild

Anyone know a machine shop in Atlanta with experience on old Y-block Fords? I had planned on swapping in a 2001 302 and T-5 combo, but think I want to stick with the old original...

Glad to see it will have an old original Ford engine, instead of yet another shevie engine. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Just don't like those...

Just be sure you choose the valve lifters that you want to keep before reassembly. Changing lifters in the Y Block is a PITA. They use a mushroom lifter that is installed from the bottom end of the engine. I raced a Y Block in the fifties. It was a fairly bullet proof engine; but I hated changing lifters when I changed camshafts.

Good luck with the build. I had lots of Y-blocks in the late 50’s and 60’s.
Even a couple that’d embarrass some small block Chevys.
Parts chasing will probably be a beyatch, wish you well.

Good luck with the build. I had lots of Y-blocks in the late 50’s and 60’s.
Even a couple that’d embarrass some small block Chevys.
Parts chasing will probably be a beyatch, wish you well.
Believe it or not, I have found parts pretty easy. There are a few hard to find items, but the old Y has garnered a fair amount of support as of late.

Nice truck Smiley.

I would definitely give the three deuces a try.
You can set them up with 'Progressive' linkage so you only tool around town on the center carb.
Once you reach a pre-determined point on the throttle linkage the other two carbs kick in much like a 4-barrel.

When they start to open is controlled strictly by you moving the set screws on the carbs linkage.
It functions much like the old mechanical 'passing gear' on automatic transmissions.
You can make it where you nearly need to floor the pedal to open all three carbs.

If they open up too soon you could possibly flood the engine though...

Nice truck Smiley.

I would definitely give the three deuces a try.
You can set them up with 'Progressive' linkage so you only tool around town on the center carb.
Once you reach a pre-determined point on the throttle linkage the other two carbs kick in much like a 4-barrel.

When they start to open is controlled strictly by you moving the set screws on the carbs linkage.
It functions much like the old mechanical 'passing gear' on automatic transmissions.
You can make it where you nearly need to floor the pedal to open all three carbs.

If they open up too soon you could possibly flood the engine though...

May need to go with an electric fuel pump, seems like I remember the old diaphrahm units wouldn’t keep up with 3 Stromberg 97’s at full throttle.

If it's the Will I knew, he's a good choice. I used him a lot for my projects and for the dealers I worked at. Never had a problem.

I don’t think Will himself is still around, but the business is still there and the guy I talked to knew his stuff on the Y. I asked about doing several small updates that help oil flow and he knew right away what I was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom