• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F150 Evap Canister Vent Valve Replacement Cost

Anyone have a ballpark figure on what it should cost to have a shop replace an evap vent valve in a 2013 F150? The truck was throwing a code of p0446 and I really don’t have the means to properly test the system nor did I want to just start replacing stuff.

I took it in to get a diag figuring I’d just pay the dang fee and do the repair myself. They called me last night to say they had to do a smoke test ($208), this morning they called and said the vent valve needs to be replaced at a cost of $687...this seems a bit heigh to me (like a ****load high). Then they say they need to run a scan tool validation for an additional $70. I ignored the injector and throttle body cleaning service for $300.

Is this the going rate or should I just go buy the part and replace it myself?
They are screwing you on diagnostic and testing fees. When we diagnose a problem the estimate includes all necessary testing. For instance...the scan tool usage and smoke test are part of diagnosing it. I would charge anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours plus parts. Their charge for the diagnostic, then the smoke test, then scanner verification is just a way to run the bill up. The mechanics must be on commission.

They are screwing you on diagnostic and testing fees. When we diagnose a problem the estimate includes all necessary testing. For instance...the scan tool usage and smoke test are part of diagnosing it. I would charge anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours plus parts. Their charge for the diagnostic, then the smoke test, then scanner verification is just a way to run the bill up. The mechanics must be on commission.
They’re $200 smoke test includes the initial diag fee of $85. I’m just wondering what I’m missing when it comes to replacing the valve. It’s right on the canister which is easily accessed. I pulled the purge valve last week to inspect it and it probably took me 33 seconds, and part of that was finding the canister.

The video is for the purge valve. The one is easy too but not the stated issue.

The vent valve should be located somewhere by the fuel tank and evap canister. I just did one on a Nissan that took me less than 1 minute. They normally twist out and you just pop the new unit in.

When I replaced mine, I walked next door from the service department to the parts department and bought it for less than the shop was going to charge me for the part and did it myself for about $75 and it took about 5 minutes to replace.

Sounds like a poor mechanic who needed to do a somke test when the scan tool will tell them exactly that this is the problem and eff them for charging to pull a code auto zone would have pulled for free.

Sounds like a poor mechanic who needed to do a somke test when the scan tool will tell them exactly that this is the problem and eff them for charging to pull a code auto zone would have pulled for free.
I’m sure it’s just a way to make more money. It’s my first (and last) time using that shop but they’re really close to me and had good reviews so I figured I’d give them a shot.

Oh, I have a scan tool, I pulled the code and told them what it was. When they called me back to say they needed to do a smoke test, I told them a leak in the system throws a different code than what I had, they weren’t prepared with a response except that they “have” to do a smoke test to determine the issue. It’s my fault, really.

Back
Top Bottom