• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F150 Evap Canister Vent Valve Replacement Cost

They’re $200 smoke test includes the initial diag fee of $85. I’m just wondering what I’m missing when it comes to replacing the valve. It’s right on the canister which is easily accessed. I pulled the purge valve last week to inspect it and it probably took me 33 seconds, and part of that was finding the canister.
To charge an additional 200 over the 85 diagnostic is criminal.
I just looked at several invoices....I carged 1.5 or 2 hours to diagnose and repair this problem on several customers trucks. Plus the parts needed. If you just want a diagnosis it usually 1 hour. I get $110 an hour.
Those guys are nuts. All the techs and service writers are on commission I promise you. Everybody got their hand in the pie. The more stuff they can get away with charging for, the more they make.

Sounds like a poor mechanic who needed to do a somke test when the scan tool will tell them exactly that this is the problem and eff them for charging to pull a code auto zone would have pulled for free.
I dont "pull codes" for free either. I have $15000 worth of scan tools you aint benefiting from for free. AutoZone loves to "pull a code", then sell you a part you may or may not need. Knowing the code is the start. Diagnosing the code is another matter altogether.

Oh, I have a scan tool, I pulled the code and told them what it was. When they called me back to say they needed to do a smoke test, I told them a leak in the system throws a different code than what I had, they weren’t prepared with a response except that they “have” to do a smoke test to determine the issue. It’s my fault, really.
A leak in the evap system will set that code as well. Just because the code names a component doesnt mean its that component.
I still say the smoke test is part of the diagnostic and 200 extra is robbery. But hell, I only been in business 30 years...what do I know

To charge an additional 200 over the 85 diagnostic is criminal.
I just looked at several invoices....I carged 1.5 or 2 hours to diagnose and repair this problem on several customers trucks. Plus the parts needed. If you just want a diagnosis it usually 1 hour. I get $110 an hour.
Those guys are nuts. All the techs and service writers are on commission I promise you. Everybody got their hand in the pie. The more stuff they can get away with charging for, the more they make.
Yeah, I just got off the phone with a buddy who’s the GM for a shop (I haven’t been able to reach him until now) and he said run, don’t walk away from them. I’m heading there shortly to take my $200 lumps, go to the auto parts store for the part and replace it when I get home. I’ll let y’all know if their diags were correct.

A leak in the evap system will set that code as well. Just because the code names a component doesnt mean its that component.
I still say the smoke test is part of the diagnostic and 200 extra is robbery. But hell, I only been in business 30 years...what do I know
In their defense, the initial diag fee of $85 (which I assume is them pulling the codes) is included in the $200 smoke test, so in theory, the smoke test was $115 and them plugging the scanner in was $85. I’m fine with that. I’m not fine with a cost of $685 to replace the valve plus the diag fee of $200 plus the “scan tool validation” for $70 and then top all that off with a Throttle body and injector clean for $300.

They said the stuck valve causes the truck to run lean which is why they need to clean the fuel system. The O2 sensors I replaced over the weekend point to a very rich condition, so I’m call complete BS on that and assume it’s just a bogus up charge.

Its always easier and cheaper when someone tells you the problem first. :p
That was my thinking. In retrospect, I should have just replaced both valves, would have been cheaper. The only issue is that I was afraid it could be faulty wiring, in which case their $200 fee would have been the cheapest route. I’m gonna be pretty pissed if they were wrong, lol.

In their defense, the initial diag fee of $85 (which I assume is them pulling the codes) is included in the $200 smoke test, so in theory, the smoke test was $115 and them plugging the scanner in was $85. I’m fine with that. I’m not fine with a cost of $685 to replace the valve plus the diag fee of $200 plus the “scan tool validation” for $70 and then top all that off with a Throttle body and injector clean for $300.

They said the stuck valve causes the truck to run lean which is why they need to clean the fuel system. The O2 sensors I replaced over the weekend point to a very rich condition, so I’m call complete BS on that and assume it’s just a bogus up charge.

My average parts and labor charge was 275 plus tax for the same job. Its so common its a no brainer.
The stuck valve does not cause a lean condition! LOL Thats a good story to tell someone to try and sell another $300 smoke and mirrors service though!! Avoid these guys in the future! This is what I despise about my industry...too many guys trying to bleed you.

My average parts and labor charge was 275 plus tax for the same job. Its so common its a no brainer.
The stuck valve does not cause a lean condition! LOL Thats a good story to tell someone to try and sell another $300 smoke and mirrors service though!! Avoid these guys in the future! This is what I despise about my industry...too many guys trying to bleed you.
I commend you. I wish it was easier to find someone trustworthy. I picked the truck up, ran to the auto parts store, reached under the truck and pulled the valve out and proceeded to have them order it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I’ll update tomorrow to confirm whether or not the new valve did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom