• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FA Pro's & Con's

Like my carry pistol that I rarely shoot, my four wheel drive that I hardly ever use, along with several other things in my life, "It's far better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

or get a gun that dont need it. cue ak - FTW!

Last edited:
Useless. If a round doesn't chamber on the first try, why is that? Either the gun is fouled up or the ammo is out of spec. Either way, I'm not going to attempt to force it in.

Stoner's original design did not have FA.

Completely Disagree. I had a bump in the night scare a couple of monthss ago...

I grabbed my AR (with mag already inserted) and yank on the CH smooth and quiet BUT I don't let it slam back for noise discipline, I ride it back. Give the FA a tap and *clink*! The bolt fully closes.

Turns out a magnet fell off the fridge onto the floor. If it was a BG and i didn't give the button a tap I would have heard a different click, the sound of dry firing.

Completely Disagree. I had a bump in the night scare a couple of monthss ago...

I grabbed my AR (with mag already inserted) and yank on the CH smooth and quiet BUT I don't let it slam back for noise discipline, I ride it back. Give the FA a tap and *clink*! The bolt fully closes.

Turns out a magnet fell off the fridge onto the floor. If it was a BG and i didn't give the button a tap I would have heard a different click, the sound of dry firing.

yes, i suppose it would have purpose if you are concerned with noise levels for hunting or a scenario like yours.... fridge magnet hunting

Like my carry pistol that I rarely shoot, my four wheel drive that I hardly ever use, along with several other things in my life, "It's far better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Yes sir! Rare to need it but if the crap is hitting the fan nice to have. I only used it when the chamber was very dirty from crappy ammo or in training with blanks.

If the bolt doesn't fully close and the extractor doesn't make it onto the cartridge, and even if you decide not to take a chance and push it on closed and fire it, you still need to get the thing out of the chamber. If the bolt ain't closed enough to have the extractor to pull it out, without the forward assist your attempting to recharge by slamming the next round from the mag into the one stuck in the chamber, or dropping your mag to prevent this from happening. Then working the charge handle again while looking to find your mag. I ain't knocking the ones without the F/A for target shooting, but if I got to depend on it to work, I want every tool to make it work or clear a malfunction asap. Why wouldn't you want it on an AR? On an AK, M1A, or Mini 14 you'd push the bolt handle to accomplish the same thing. The original AR design doesn't have the ability to push the bolt as the other designs have. In my opinion it should have been there from the start. It was a necessary improvement for a battle rifle. I hope to never use the F/A on any of mine, but they all have it, just in case I do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom