• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Factory or Custom rifle for long range shooting

Im at work and going to respond to the first post. Ive been shooting guns off and on since I was 20. Im more of a rifle person than handgun. My only current offering with glass and precision is my Ruger American .308 with a 4-12 Vortex Diamondback. Im not real familiar with sighting scopes and Kentucky windage if that's a factor. I just used $1,500 for glass as I didn't think I would need that much magnification or attention to details on the glass part. Ive never been shooting past 100 yards so Im a total newbie on anything past 100. My rifle now is not sighted in as I don't have a 100 yard range close to my area to shoot and zero it. Ive been watching the forum about long range shooting classes and would like to attend one.

I shoot handguns as a necessity, not really my thing either.

Any chance you can make it to Talladega, Alabama for a Saturday shoot? I think you could gain some valuable experience in shooting iron sights out to 600 yards before sinking big bucks into a long range rifle. No worry if you can't, lots of folks jump right in and take the plunge. I'm more of a measured approach kind of shooter. I mention Talladega because there are many members here that go together and separately to shoot and you could pick up some pointers from them. Start at 100 yards and then move to range 1 where 200, 300 and 600 yard targets are available. I'd read up (there is a USDA regulation crapload of info) on MOA and MilRad scopes and how they are best used for a particular application. First and second focal planes are something while easy to understand, have a huge impact on price of a scope.

Hell, there are numerous threads on these and other LRPS topics posted right here on this site.

I was at AR Bunker in Peachtree City/ Newnan area and they recommended I go custom with Accurate Ordnance for what they have budget wise is in my range. But I know more people can tell me about Surgeon rifles more than Accurate Ordnance. Not saying that they're not great at what they do because I don't own any of their items, I know that Surgeon is a bigger name and have more customers to my belief than Accurate Ordnance. I'm willing to learn and eager to hone my skills. So I should spend $6k total now that would be putting more time to research on glass. Another thing Ive been told when buying glass and choosing a focal plane which I haven't understood yet.

Wow, please check with CMShoot here among others before spending that kind of money. There is no reason at all that you cannot engage targets at 1,000 yards with a Remington 700 in .308 or 7mm Rem Mag and good ammunition. I know there are other calibers that do it better, but these two are damned near universal.

Welcome ,To the LR bug
We all have to start some were.I would suggest you find a mentor some one who shoots the kind of 1000yrd matches you want to compete in.It is also a very smart idea to get formal instruction it will save time and money. I went to Williamsport Pa Benchrest school back in 2008 ,there is a big difference in reloading for an NRA xc match and shooting 1000yrd Br.
I build my rifle's around the sport I am planning to shoot .My choice of caliber for 1000yrd benchrest is different than shooting NRA lr or NRA F-Class. What is your goal? If you don't know try shooting some and see what you like.
I will say a custom rifle has advantages you can have it set up for switch barrels from the start just the way you want (trigger, stock,barrel length & contour).
Most shooters have a spare rifle they will let you get behind and try ,just be respectful and offer to pay for ammo.
Good luck
John

I shoot handguns as a necessity, not really my thing either.

Any chance you can make it to Talladega, Alabama for a Saturday shoot? I think you could gain some valuable experience in shooting iron sights out to 600 yards before sinking big bucks into a long range rifle. No worry if you can't, lots of folks jump right in and take the plunge. I'm more of a measured approach kind of shooter. I mention Talladega because there are many members here that go together and separately to shoot and you could pick up some pointers from them. Start at 100 yards and then move to range 1 where 200, 300 and 600 yard targets are available. I'd read up (there is a USDA regulation crapload of info) on MOA and MilRad scopes and how they are best used for a particular application. First and second focal planes are something while easy to understand, have a huge impact on price of a scope.

Hell, there are numerous threads on these and other LRPS topics posted right here on this site.

This Saturday for a shoot? Maybe as if I don't have anything in concrete planned. I have some Sig Match .308 left. I guess I can buy a shooting bag or invest in a bipod for my Ruger American .308. What about my can, I have my SilencerCo Omega usually mounted on it since my other hasn't arrived. Do I need papers to cross state lines with the can? I plan on bringing my Osprey 45 along also. And I want to have at least the glass by the end of this year. And when tax money comes in buy the rifle next year. But I thought about getting a Ruger RPR to at least start my learning curve. The Accurate Ordnance rifle at AR Bunker was no more than $2,300 if I remember correctly. That's no scope included. And was .308. I know a guy at my LGS that was an Army Sniper he told me the same that a .308 Rem 700 with 20 inch barrel will reach 1k yards and shouldn't be a problem. But I hate having buyers remorse and want to purchase right the first time around.

I am not able to go this Saturday as I'm traveling next week beginning Sunday. Another time for sure.

I do not think you 'must' have a 'permission slip' to take your property (the Omega) across State lines to Alabama. You should be fine with your tax stamp in your possession.

You have plenty of time to research all your gear and make good choices. I'd try to get with some other shooters and see the math involved in using optics at various distances and how the elevation knobs work (when needed) to shoot at distance. I use a Rem 700 with a FFP Vortex Viper PST and I do not need to move a turret to shoot from 25 to 600 yards, I use the subtends in the reticle. Windage estimations are another matter altogether. An experienced shooter would likely be happy to explain it to you but read up on estimating wind speeds and direction and corresponding values in windage corrections at distance(s).

I'll tell you my experience (or lack there of) before offering an opinion. I have been shooting medium long range (800 yards and less often more) for several decades, but have only competed sparingly and never a PRS match... yet. However, I have worked up accurate loads for quite a few rifles professionally and own three rifles that shoot under 0.5 MOA. With that said, my standard for a truly accurate rifle is 0.5 MOA five shot groups at 100 yards with a very consistent muzzle velocity to avoid vertical stringing at greater ranges. Rifles can be more accurate than that, but I feel the only place it's needed or will make a real difference is in competition bench rest shooting where a difference of 0.1 MOA can make the difference between winning and coming in mid pack.

There are a lot of rifles that are off the shelf and cost well under $2000 dollars that will deliver this kind of accuracy with the right ammo. There are several that cost less than $1000 that will. My personal favorites are higher end Remington 700s, but Savage makes good rifles at an even more reasonable price. My approach to accuracy is to get one of these rifles, work up a good load for it and spend lots of money on the glass. The glass needs to be very clear, sturdy and, most importantly, the adjustments need to be very predictable and repeatable. Without that predictable repeatability you are just pissing in the wind for long range shooting.

Even if the rifle you get isn't quite up to speed, there are a lot of things you can do to nail down accuracy in it as long as it's a common brand. This is especially true of the Remington 700. Most of these modifications are not crazy expensive.

If I was starting out now, I would budget $1500 (max) for the rifle, $2000 for the scope (Though there are good Nightforces out there for a lot less. Look at the SHVs.). $200 for rings and mount. Around $500 dollars for top notch reloading equipment and literature on how to load accurate ammo. (It's not that hard to do as long as you pay attention to the details.)

Once you have the equipment, accuracy is based on your skill, so getting the right equipment should be considered the beginning of the process. Trigger time can not be replaced by anything else. You may even want to think about also getting an accurate rimfire rifle so you can spend lots of time on a rifle without burning up your money, components and barrel. Figure another $600 for a quality rimfire set up, including glass.

BTW, if cmshoot jumps in here and disagrees with anything I've said, believe him, not me. LOL!

A 308 with a 20" barrel or any 308 would not be high on my list for 1000yrds. There are much better options out there.I do have a rifle set up for F-Tr which is limited to 308 or 223 calibers.It has a 30" barrel and is throated for the heavy bullets 185-200grn bergers.
My little 6Br with 105 VLD will shoot inside it all day and be fun to shoot for 60 plus rounds.
There are NRA matches at Ft Gordon in Augusta . Cool Acres in Swanesboro will rent you range time at 1000yrds,

I'll admit I didn't read all the replies here, just sorta skimmed. So, I ain't attacking anyone, or taking a stance against anyone here.

My 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course runs out to 1,000yds. I have no issues getting folks on steel with accurate repeatability when they are using quality out of the box rifles, like the Remington 700 Mil Spec 5R, Tikka offerings, some Savages, and the Ruger Precision Rifle. Scopes vary from just under $1,000 (Vortex Viper PST, Bushnell, etc.), up through SWFA, on through Nightforce NXS, and finally into the Nightforce ATACR and S&B categories.

I've got folks ringing 1,000yd steel with a system totaling about $2,000 and I've got folks doing it with $5,000 systems.

If you can afford to had Accurate Ordnance build you a system in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, and top it with a Nightforce ATACR, then go for it.

A Rem700 Mil Spec 5R and Nightforce NXS, with good rings/mount/bipod would run you under $3000 (including upgrading the trigger in the rifle). That's a solid setup that will shoot better than 99% of the folks that own them. Over time, you can upgrade the system as you figure out what works for you, and what you want to change. Doesn't sound like you quite know yet, and you won't know until you start launching lead down range repeatedly.

As you get more comfortable, get to shoot other folks' systems, you'll figure out what works for YOU. First thing that usually gets changed is the stock. By then, you'll know if you wanna go the traditional McMillan/Manners route, or a more modern chassis system.

Wear the barrel out, take it to AO, and have them true the action and screw a new tube on it for you.

Ok, well I believe a 22-24 inch barrel is required in choosing .308 but the standard barrel on 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger RPR is 24 inches correct?? I like the magazine options with the RPR. But I will check Accurate Ordnance site for their prices and options. I'm going to try to go to Georgia Gun Club, way across town to try to shoot 100 yards indoors with my Ruger American .308. Im open to anymore advice or idea's gents!

Back
Top Bottom