• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Factory or Custom rifle for long range shooting

Great thread, great comments. Guess I'm one of those newbies that is playing with long range stuff also. I bought a Ruger RPR in 6.5 and a Remington 5R in 308. Both are topped with Vortex scopes. I am lucky to be able to shoot at my own property and have been doing so several weekends in a row. I have shot trap in competition and USPSA open division for years but I am totally new to this and have been really enjoying all the challenges so far. I will be at RedX's get together on the 10th to see and learn all I can.

Plenty of options for your price range, from factory to custom rifles. RedX is doing a one day fun shoot out in Carrollton in a couple weeks. I'd suggest going out there and/or going to a match and seeing what people are running. Play with different equipment. See what you like. Especially in custom guns, you have tons of options and can pretty much build exactly what you want. If going custom gun, I'd also give RedX a call as he builds them and for the most part, I think his spec guns, built off a 700 receiver, are running right around 3k, maybe less. Waiting on some 140 eldms so that I can start load development on the one he just for for me.

Yes all of my spec builds are sub $2800 my Full blown competition model that I have personally been shooting over the past 8 months in PRS matches retails for 2800 but I have other options as well.

Ive just got into the long range game a year ago.Been shooting Savage 10Fp an a Remington LTR.Been ringing steel at 1k and enjoyed it, will be taking a class in a co uple weeks with Cmshoot to learn more.

Seek some instruction.

Barrett's, AIs and others are very nice and I've played with almost all of them.. but you can do a lot with an RPR, Tikka Tac A1 or a custom build for less money as well.

However, don't skimp on glass or mounts. There are a lot of nice scope options, but if you're willing to spend that much on a rifle don't sacrifice your or the rifle's ability with cheap glass and mounts. Split the budget a little differently and you can get an awesome rifle for $2-3k and awesome glass for $2-3k.

With that kind of budget you can get one of Accurate Ordnance's newest signature series rifles for $2500 in 6.5 creedmoor. Top it with a Nightforce scope (SHV, NXS, or ATACR depending on how much you wanna spend on it) and spend the rest of the money on ammo and range time. Reloading is awesome if you have the time but the factory hornady ammo will run just fine. Look at some of the different ballistics programs like jbm ballistics and get an understanding of the bullet drop and elevation adjustments needed for shooting at distance as well as the effect wind has on the bullet.

Here's a kid scoring a first-shot cold bore hit on a one-foot steel plate at 1000 yards.
Ruger American .308 with factory Hornady 165 grain SST ammo.
Bushnell Elite 5X-15X , 40mm scope.

Im off on weekends and usually don't have anything much to do besides ride my Yamaha Raptor 700R. But if anyone wants to meet up and help a guy out let me know. I'll buy the ammo and lunch! I like the video GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet Mine is the threaded barrel version an 18 inch if I remember I didn't know if his was the black model with a longer barrel? I wonder what glass he used and was the little windometer or whatever he was using something that's easily accessible to purchase? I'm glad this thread is bringing more people involved and more opinions. I would try to see how much personal instruction cost. But how do you find out a directory of instructors for this type of shooting.

I would be more than happy to meet with you one weekend (other than this weekend and Memorial day weekend) I will bring out a couple of different variations to let you try out.

Back
Top Bottom