• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Factory or Custom rifle for long range shooting

Im off on weekends and usually don't have anything much to do besides ride my Yamaha Raptor 700R. But if anyone wants to meet up and help a guy out let me know. I'll buy the ammo and lunch! I like the video GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet Mine is the threaded barrel version an 18 inch if I remember I didn't know if his was the black model with a longer barrel? I wonder what glass he used and was the little windometer or whatever he was using something that's easily accessible to purchase? I'm glad this thread is bringing more people involved and more opinions. I would try to see how much personal instruction cost. But how do you find out a directory of instructors for this type of shooting.

A wind meter is easy to purchase (I use a Kestrel 4500) but I find the wind reading function to be of limited use for long distance shooting as it only gives you the wind at the shooter.....not the other 999yds ya gotta shoot across. I use my Mestrel for the other data it provides.

Best use I've found for the wind reading function is for folks that are just learning. You can guesstimate the wind at your person, then check it with the meter.

I teach Precision/Sniper courses through my school Precision Applications, LLC.

@REDX you can PM me your fee's, schedules, and requirements, etc. And Bear44 Bear44 you can do the same also. His glass has better magnification than mine as mine is 4-12x

Here is the Tactical & Visual Wind Indicators that I give to students at my school.

0-1 MPH Wind imperceptible.
No grass or leaf movement.
Smoke rises straight up.
Mirage runs vertical.

1-2 MPH Cooling effect of wind may be noticed.
Light movement of grasses.
Only a few leaves on any given tree in motion.
Mirage begins to lean to 12:30.

3 MPH Wind pressure can be felt on bare arms.
Grasses obviously in motion.
All leaves on any given tree in light motion.
Mirage leans to 1:00-1:30.

4 MPH Wind pressure can be felt on face.
Small twigs bearing leaf clusters begin light motion.
Mirage leans to 1:30-2:00.

5 MPH Tips of smaller branches begin motion that hold the leaf limbs.
Mirage leans to 2:00-2:15.

6 MPH The trunk branches start to move. These are the heavy limbs holding the smaller branches.
Mirage leans to 2:15-2:30.

7 MPH Larger (trunk) limbs begin motion.
Young (softer) leaves begin to flip over on windy side of trees.
Mirage leans to 2:30.

8 MPH Tree tops are in light motion.
Mature leaves flip over on windy side of trees.
Mirage leans to 2:45.

9 MPH Tree tops show obvious movement.
Almost all leaves flip over.
Mirage leans to 2:45-3:00 and begins to run.

10 MPH Wind pressure can be felt against the body.
Tree tops show substantial movement.
Mirage runs slowly and parallel to ground.

11 MPH Mirage runs quickly along the ground, begins to break up.

12 MPH Wind pressure can be felt against the body.
Mirage runs very quickly in sheltered places, mostly broken up in exposed areas.

12-15 MPH Dust is raised.
Lighter debris moves around.
Mirage blows off completely in exposed areas.

15-20 MPH Dust clouds blow around.
Debris blows around.
Smaller tree trunks sway.
Major limbs on larger trees in constant motion.

20+ MPH Difficulty walking.
Larger tree trunks sway.

@REDX you can PM me your fee's, schedules, and requirements, etc. And Bear44 Bear44 you can do the same also. His glass has better magnification than mine as mine is 4-12x
I don't have fees because I'm not a pro. That means we would just be having a good time and I can point you in the right direction. There is no doubt you would be better off taking a class by someone that really knows what they are doing. Spend less on the rifle and use the extra to get into a good class.

Back
Top Bottom