• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fake gold and silver all over the place

I only buy from apmex and that it. Only 100% sure fire way to tell if your gold or silver is real is with a PMI analyzer. I have seen dealers get screwed over on acid test cause it was gold leaf. Passed acid test. We put a pmi on it and it was copper in the middle. Had maybe two grams of gold leaf on it and 5oz of copper inside. Buddy was mad as hell

I saw a magnet recently (maybe rare earth?) that would "move" silver a tiny bit. Anyone ever seen this?

Silver will react somewhat to a strong magnet. It is one test for fake silver coins.

Have a magnet on an incline and let the silver slide down it.

If it drops freely, not real. Should have some resistance.

There are youtubes showing this, I tried it and it works.

Friend of mine stopped by Saturday with Silver bars he had just bought at Flea market..
I held a magnet over them and..ClinkClinkClink..They each picked up off the table and STUCK to the magnet...
Called a friend of mine who is the local sheriff deputy and he met us over at the flea market just as the seller was packing up to leave..

My friend got a refund from the seller.
He should buy you a steak.lol

balance.png

These were once sold as guaranteed to spot fake gold coins. After they paid out for a fake US Gold Eagle, they amended their guarantee.

Weight AND dimension of GEs can now be faked.

I bought some silver dollars knowing they were fake, just to see how good they look. They are near perfect and feel the same weight. It’s amazing how good the Chinese are at copying anything and making it fake.

OK, ya'll got my attention. I have a Gold 5 dollar 1887 and 1997 s Liberty coin that I bought a few years ago on the ODT. Also bought some junk silver from him which I have since sold. The 1887 s coin is in a hard plastic case. The 1897 s is in a thin plastic holder. I can detect a very slight pull on the 1897 s coin from a very, very strong magnet. Not enough to hold the coin but just enough to sense it with the feel. The strong magnet came out of a computer hard drive.

I would be very surprised if either of these coins were fakes.

I just recently started buying silver rounds . I buy from a local shop in Warner Robins called Wellston Gold and Silver Exchange. They've been in the same little building on Watson Blvd for as long as I can remember. Father and daughter bidness for years. They treat me right even though I told them the first time I went in there I was a low volume buyer.
Funny thing is that they have a stack of coins right by the door that are all fakes. So if someone decides to steal them that's what they get.

I "dabble" in silver now and then.

I have a set of very strong rare earth magnets and if you touch a Morgan silver dollar....90% silver...there is a very slight attraction, but not enough to lift the coin. This, and a good scale, is how I check mine. Its like if you dipped your finger in a little bit of pancake syrup and tried to lift the coin, it will stick and rise a little, but not enough to pick the coin up entirely.

There are probably YouTube videos showing this slight magnetic attraction

Back
Top Bottom