• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Father-Daughter gun time......

chosinsteve132

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
25   0
Reaction score
I am about to be a first time father to a little girl in November. Does anyone have any experience when it comes to raising a little girl around firearms? Anyone have any good advice for me, any youth model firearms they recommend? I want her to appreciate firearms and enjoy shooting with her mom and I. any information or stories would be great! :D

started mine with a pink .22 Crickett using sub-sonic ammo. Targets that show they've been hit make it more interesting.

We spent a lot of time talking about gun safety before I ever let her shoot. The Eddie Eagle video in on youtube.

I bought both my daughters pink Cricket .22's last year for They were 4 and 6.

The 6 YO is almost big enough to shoot hers now. Also bought them a camo youth model Remington 870 a couple of weeks ago, but it'll be a while before they're big enough to handle that one.

I started my kids out with paintball guns first. They loved them because they could see the ball in flight and immediately know if they hit what they were aiming at. Once they had safe handling ingrained we moved to BB/pellet/airsoft guns then to rimfires and centerfires.

Hopefully you can find a place to shoot that has something besides paper targets. My kids get bored to death shooting paper, luckily the range we go to has steel plates. We also go to the hunting club in the off season and take all kinds of stuff to blow up. It's funny how they don't mind cleaning stuff up after a shooting session but getting them to pick up trash at the house is a battle.

Congratulations!
Great idea to teach her how to properly use firearms,think it will be a lifelong thing you both can enjoy and share.

My daughter shoots exceptionally well with a non pink pistol ,although she did have her eye on one last time we were at the gun shop-"Its so Cute".
You will be sorely tempted to spoil her at most every turn, if you are like most of us. Hopefully you will resist that urge ,at least most of the time.....

I waited until my daughter was into her teens and she showed some interest. I started her off on the .22, but she saw me and her grandfather shooting some antique WW2 weapons and was very curious. She decided she wanted to try the 9mm Walther P38, and fired it like a champ. Managed to get 3 bullseyes with the first clip... better than I'd been shooting all day.

So now she's tried a bunch, but really likes the 9mm for the best compromise.

She actually considered joining the riflery team at her school too.

Az

I also like the idea of starting her off with a paintball/air/bb gun and the steel plates are also a great idea. My father-in-law just bought 30 acres between Calhoun and Dalton so I have plenty of space once my daughter gets old enough.

Back
Top Bottom