• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite armadillo getter

In the mid 90's, maybe spring of '95, my scout troop(sans me...senior patrol leader) was on a week long camp out on Cumberland Island. Two of my good friends dropped a huge rock on a ****ing dillo...and got the troop banned from Cumberland Island for like 5 or 10 years.

Needless to say...they left early. I got a call at like 6pm to come down to the church and dress down a bus of kids...cause nobody was snitchin'. So I did my job, found out who it was...AND I DIDNT SNITCH MUTHER****ERS!!! snitches get stitches. **** amadillos! It isn't like they killed a ****ing Cumberland Isle wild horse!

I tried killing them with a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol. I wasn't good enough to hit them while they were running at moderate ranges, so I charged them and shot within spitting distance. I missed some, but it took a lot of hits to bring them down with 22 long rifle round nose.

Later I did the same thing with a 20 gauge shotgun with low brass birdshot-- i'd run up on them and "open fire" from about 10 to 20 feet. That worked pretty well. With one center mass hit they were done moving, other than a little quivering and thrashing.

Have family at lake Sinclair. Being the close male to the property I have taken up the job of Dillo elimination
since my father-in-law passed away. I rigged up a surefire light to an H&R single shot 22 mag rifle. Have taken
two thus far. Have found you can just about walk up to them if they are busy digging. Head shot and they dont move,
body shot and they may run a little bit.

The only one I killed was in Elko - South Houston County at my aunt's house. It was sprinkling rain and I saw it rooting around a flower bed. I had my model 36 loaded with 158gr. Lee RNFP bullets over some Bullseye. Got a nice side shot and it started cartwheeling and jumping and flipping. It finally settled down and I got another hit on it to finish the fight.

I use a havaheart door trap and they just walk in it. After that it’s your choice.I prefer .38 special hollow base wad cutter upside down. It hits em with a thwap sound that makes me grin.

I have grown to hate them rather fervently myself. But I knew a man who had them tear up thousands of dollars in new Sod he had set in his yard, and I've never seen a deeper hatred of a creature 🤣

My favorite quotes,
"They are worthless horrid creatures that must be erradicated"
"They have no internal organs or brains, they function off pure stupidity"
"They want you to kill them, otherwise they wouldn't let you get so close"

and something said of him,
"He's the only man I know who will put a $40,000 truck in a ditch just to kill an armadillo"

Story goes that his daughter was driving up to his house and called him to say there was one in his front yard. Two seconds later, out he comes in nothing but underwear, unbuttoned shirt, and cowboy boots with a 12 gauge jumps off his porch and commences to blasting. 😂😂😂

I use a havaheart door trap and they just walk in it. After that it’s your choice.I prefer .38 special hollow base wad cutter upside down. It hits em with a thwap sound that makes me grin.
Once in the trap, save the bullet. About 90 seconds submerged in your local creek or pond will do the job for free. The eyeballs will sometimes pop out at around 75 seconds.

My uncle got me to dispatch one for him the other day cause he’s out cause of a recent hernia surgery. He’s got some kinda wood box trap that’s like a plus sized rabbit box. No bait needed as they can Apparently smell the box. He told me that was #59 in 3 years. .22lr smoked him when he walked out at 3’ lol.

Back
Top Bottom