• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite handgun (or rifle) drills

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of trying out different defensive pistol drills and courses of fire to keep my skills sharp -- not that I do very well on all of them... lol! So maybe this post is just for me to keep track of ones I try from time to time. What are yours? Either handgun or rifle.

F.A.S.T. drill

The 666 drill and the Bill drill

F.B.I. qualification course

F.A.M.S. qualification course

Weak hand emergency shift drill: https://www.shootingillustrated.com...y-a-critical-shooting-skill-you-need-to-know/

I run my handgun course students through the “Air Marshal Qual” (actually called the Tactical Pistol Course or TPC). Anyone that passes gets a challenge coin. I’ve handed out maybe 6 coins in 10 years, the last one was to VHinch VHinch .

The Triple Nickel is next in my sights. Probably going to have to get off my ass and train that one up a little though.

200.gif

I don’t have anything well known to add. But my personal favorite Ian shooting one handed. And also shooting from the hip. Cowboy style. My defense plan involves umholsterong in a fashion that the gun is in action as soon as it leaves the holster. I fire/train often with the hammer up pretty close to my hip to simulate this. Make sure you train for crappy circumstances too y’all.

Thanks for that suggestion. This is the one I assume? http://pistol-training.com/drills/triple-nickel

That's the one. It's a bitch.

One thing not clearly stated there though - the reload does not have to be from slidelock. A magazine exchange meets the criteria, and it can be anywhere in the string of fire the shooter chooses as long as it's after the first round but before the 10th round.

I do many different drills, but the one I practice most is one shot in the A from the holster. The second most frequent is two shots in the A from the holster. In almost every case, the first round or two are the only ones that will actually count.

The third most common is six rounds in the A while retreating from point blank range. The first round is fired strong hand only as soon as the pistol clears the holster. It's fired from just above the holster with the pistol held close to my body and with the weak hand held high in a defensive posture. The last round is fired at least five yards away from the target in a two handed grip using the sights. I'm firing the entire time as I get my two handed grip and into sight use position. There are three variants. One is moving straight back. The other two are moving at lateral angles left and right.

With a carbine I mostly practice triple taps (two to the body and one to the head) from a variety of positions and movement while firing.

I do many different drills, but the one I practice most is one shot in the A from the holster. The second most frequent is two shots in the A from the holster. In almost every case, the first round or two are the only ones that will actually count.

The third most common is six rounds in the A while retreating from point blank range. The first round is fired strong hand only as soon as the pistol clears the holster. It's fired from just above the holster with the pistol held close to my body and with the weak hand held high in a defensive posture. The last round is fired at least five yards away from the target in a two handed grip using the sights. I'm firing the entire time as I get my two handed grip and into sight use position. There are three variants. One is moving straight back. The other two are moving at lateral angles left and right.

With a carbine I mostly practice triple taps (two to the body and one to the head) from a variety of positions and movement while firing.
Back pedaling and shooting at the same time scare me. Well, not me so much as when I watch others doing it.

Back
Top Bottom