• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite Press?

I have Dad's old RCBS JR2 single stage, uniflow powder measure, RCBS balance type scale (5-0-5 I think), and mostly RCBS dies. Great setup and I used it for probably 8 years after Dad upgraded his equipment.

Then one day someone listed a Dillon 550RL with all the accessories in the local credit union bulletin for almost a giveaway price. I'm completely happy with the progressive. It meters powder just as well as my Uniflow and having all the operations in one is quick. And with the interchangeable tool heads, you only set it up one time and then you're ready to go. They advertise 400 rounds per hour and that's about what I get when I'm moving slowly and double check everything.

How does tis turret work for rifle reloads? Seems like a good idea to me-but I am new to the whole thing, and mainly want to do rifle stuff.Very low volume.

I load a lot of 6.8 on mine and it does pretty good. I have my own little system for doing rifle rounds on it, but it gets the job done.

The Classic Turret press handles rifle rounds fine. I use mine without the auto advance feature.

It makes it a great convenient single stage that allows you to leave your dies set up and change operations with a twist of the turret.

I run a Hornady Lock N Load also and have had numerous other presses. The quick caliber change with the LNL bushings are just really tough to beat. Get enough bushings, extra powder dumps, metering inserts, and along with my automatic case feeder and automatic bullet feeder, I can pump out close to 800 rounds an hour. I've heard a few people mentioning precision, but all my loads test out and are within .1 of a grain at most in variance. I do use a Lyman 5 hole turret for my precision rifle loads though.

Dillon is by far the best around. Customer service is out of this world. I have a 550 and love it. Did I mention dillon :pop2:

I I'm a big fan of singe stage presses ... even for doing quantity I just use multiple people with multiple presses and assembly line it. Istill love the old lee classic presses but my current favorites are either the RCBS rockchucker or hornady locknload ... they are much heavier duty and have more leverage so the pull is easier. I recently lost one of my favorite old lee friends when the alloy that holds the handle gave way and it pulled off.

Mine would have to be my old lee classic. Have had it for years. Simple elegant CHEAP. Did I mention CHEAP! If we are dreaming I would have to say a Dillion XL 650! Anyone else?

I've had a RCBS Rock Chucker and several other single stage presses; still have Lee's cheapest model for specialty work.
However, the Lee Classic Turret (cast iron) 4-hole press is my absolute favorite for the reasons cited by others above.
I have a Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive press as well that I use to "crank-out" plinking pistol and .223 loads
that have already been "processed" (de-primed, re-sized, trimmed, and primed) as the weakness in any progressive
press system is the priming step. Why? Typically ANY form of powder spillage will "gum up" the primer shuttle and screw-up
the "timing" of the process. So, I make a couple or three press runs with just the dies that I want installed. "YES", it takes longer
but then it does meet my standards, which I will not compromise!

Back
Top Bottom