• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite time to sit in the stand versus when you shoot your best deer ?

When have you shot your best deer ?

• Total voters
I prefer morning hunts myself. I love sitting in the woods in complete darkness Just Before Dawn. It's so quiet and peaceful and it seems like it gets colder just when the light breaks. I came to Virginia from Maryland to hunt one year and had the perfect place to sit and wouldn't you know it was the only tree in the force that had a screech owl in it. That SOB sounded off right before the light broke and I liked to sh*t my pants. That was back in 1987. It's so spooky in the complete darkness and every little sound you don't know what's making it. It's an exhilarating feeling that I absolutely can't get enough of. I love cold weather and it's just more comfortable for me to hunt in the mornings. Sometimes the evening hunts get a little warm and I don't like that very much.

Something about practicing my pack out system in the dark after last light is fun.
I try to beat my best time and also try to make zero metal to metal noise while doing it.
It’s just a fun challenge I put myself through.
Same as setting up for the climb.

I perfected my pack system during the off season. It makes the time spent hunting more efficient. :thumb:

I prefer morning hunts myself. I love sitting in the woods in complete darkness Just Before Dawn. It's so quiet and peaceful and it seems like it gets colder just when the light breaks. I came to Virginia from Maryland to hunt one year and had the perfect place to sit and wouldn't you know it was the only tree in the force that had a screech owl in it. That SOB sounded off right before the light broke and I liked to sh*t my pants. That was back in 1987. It's so spooky in the complete darkness and every little sound you don't know what's making it. It's an exhilarating feeling that I absolutely can't get enough of. I love cold weather and it's just more comfortable for me to hunt in the mornings. Sometimes the evening hunts get a little warm and I don't like that very much.
Like a turkey taking off out of a tree in the total darkness. Sounds like a helicopter

Like a turkey taking off out of a tree in the total darkness. Sounds like a helicopter
Yeah I had them right over my head one morning in the tree i was in.
Didn’t know it until they flew down.

I once had a great horned owl dive bomb me in the dark.
I saw it coming and there was enough light to make out his black figure.
He turned at the last second when I held my crossbow in front of my face and lit him up with a red light.

I love the morning hunt and have been very successful over the years
afternoon hunt time I'm usually too loaded to go:very_drunk:
IMG_20220510_153412.jpg

I love morning hunts just for the peacefulness, but the afternoon hunts on Nov 10th have produced the largest deer kills on our farm. We went back through all the photos for the last 10 years, and all were on the 10th.

Back
Top Bottom