• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fed up with crappy contractors!

Needing payment upfront makes them a 'hobbyist' and not a real contractor. I'd tell them to GPOAR.

On the flip side, you will not be funding your remodel out of my checkbook.

My (now) septic tank guy will not even show up unless you are a regular customer in the past or have a good referral. Said doing all the work up front and getting nothing but a worthless check in return got old.

On the flip side, you will not be funding your remodel out of my checkbook.

My (now) septic tank guy will not even show up unless you are a regular customer in the past or have a good referral. Said doing all the work up front and getting nothing but a worthless check in return got old.

That's completely understandable. If I got jilted I'd be cautious as well. I like to do half upfront half when completed along with a clear written agreement of what's to be done, how it should be done, time constraints, expected amount and time of payment, and any other details I can throw in there. Just a simple responded to email is enough. I've found most disagreements come from people being vague and it not being in writing. Trust but verify to protect all parties. It's just good biz.

No real issues here with payments at milestones agreed to and written out in detail within the four corners of the contract page. Payment upfront is a complete non-starter for me though. Tells me the contractor hasn't access to credit or resources to do a job. May not actually be the case, but that's the impression.

Eh- just venting in quasi crap mood after today. SO Very tired and fed up with incessant lies, over promising and under delivering from Many self-employed offering various services. Damn sure doesn't matter the field...lawn care, house cleaning, mechanics, handy men, painters, fence guys, dog groomers, on and on...and on. Every dang time I go on a new hunt to get something done from a self-employed small biz I get lied to about a varying multitude of things...from what day/time they'll be by for an estimate or when they'll call/text/email/PM me back for more info to when they'll return (if job started yet not finished) and "if you not happy mr customer we will make it right (bs)." I simply just do Not understand, and never will, the circle jerk nonsense in this...how the hell are you Ever going to "make it" and earn robust, repetitive, referred business and steadt roll of MONEY?!? Just today basically told 2 self-described rock stars (handy man for some home repairs and house cleaner to help my wife) to forget contacting me ever again for estimates as Neither one called me today as said they would....2 providers, totally separate and in no way related, etc...but equally unmotivated sloths. SMH. It's just so damn infuriating the efforts it takes to find the One guy or gal who will do about 75 to 80% of what they say- unfortunately that appears to be in Win column with so many others who hit nowhere near that mark.

Okay. I feel a bit better now after the rant...
I'm guessing you didn't find your contractor on Angie's List? I've heard it's the best place to find someone, and you can leave reviews about them & their work. https://www.angieslist.com

Needing payment upfront makes them a 'hobbyist' and not a real contractor. I'd tell them to GPOAR.

On the other side of this statement, I am in the cabinet business and require a 30% deposit upfront. I finished a project right before Christmas that the customer paid the 30%, no problem. Then wrote a check for the balance that had insufficient funds. They apologized then informed me they thought they would have the money by the time I was finished with the project, but do not have it. I am now receiving weekly checks from them to pay their balance.

I have to pay for my materials net 30 and the employees that work for me, no matter if I get paid or not. By getting a deposit, at least I can cover some of my expenses if this happens.

This is not the only time this has happened. You would really be surprised how often it does.

That's completely understandable. If I got jilted I'd be cautious as well. I like to do half upfront half when completed along with a clear written agreement of what's to be done, how it should be done, time constraints, expected amount and time of payment, and any other details I can throw in there. Just a simple responded to email is enough. I've found most disagreements come from people being vague and it not being in writing. Trust but verify to protect all parties. It's just good biz.

My "contracts" were always in writing. Very clear what was being bought. Start of work date was also specified. Completion date was always iffy due to hidden problems and change orders, but once started, it was done till completion.. No "nail a board up and be back in a month"

I do not understand "contractors" who do not have written contracts.

On the other side of this statement, I am in the cabinet business and require a 30% deposit upfront. I finished a project right before Christmas that the customer paid the 30%, no problem. Then wrote a check for the balance that had insufficient funds. They apologized then informed me they thought they would have the money by the time I was finished with the project, but do not have it. I am now receiving weekly checks from them to pay their balance.

I have to pay for my materials net 30 and the employees that work for me, no matter if I get paid or not. By getting a deposit, at least I can cover some of my expenses if this happens.

This is not the only time this has happened. You would really be surprised how often it does.

And so you know, I am pretty much a 1 man show. I have a handful of guys I can call if I need help. I pretty much only do work for repeat customers and "word of mouth".

That's bullshyt, not having the money to pay for services. How much trouble is it to slap on a lien on their happy asses?

Back
Top Bottom