• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fed up with crappy contractors!

My "contracts" were always in writing. Very clear what was being bought. Start of work date was also specified. Completion date was always iffy due to hidden problems and change orders, but once started, it was done till completion.. No "nail a board up and be back in a month"

I do not understand "contractors" who do not have written contracts.

I learned the hard way about contracts. I was taught that if you look a man in his eyes and shake his hand, that is more binding than any contract that an attorney could write for you. Unfortunately, not everyone was raised that way. I now have a contract, as you said, that is signed.

That's bullshyt, not having the money to pay for services. How much trouble is it to slap on a lien on their happy asses?

You can take out a mechanics lien, but if they intend on staying in the house for ever, it really doesn't do any good. Also, and this is where as a contractor I have to pick my fights, this particular person can really spread my name around to a lot of people with a lot of money(doctors) if they feel they had a good experience. We came to an amicable agreement for payment and they have upheld their end, so far.

With that said, I got a recommendation from them on another project that if all goes well, should be good for me. It's a game you just have to play.

For me, its simply trying to get a written estimate for a job. They come, they look, they promise the estimate but, it never comes. It took 3 months to finally get someone who I feel will do the job I want done in my home. Too many broken promises. Customer service is something that has long disappeared in our country or at least where I live anyway. All I want is what I am paying for. Nothing extra, No favors, just what I was told and what I am giving my hard earned money for.

You can take out a mechanics lien, but if they intend on staying in the house for ever, it really doesn't do any good. Also, and this is where as a contractor I have to pick my fights, this particular person can really spread my name around to a lot of people with a lot of money(doctors) if they feel they had a good experience. We came to an amicable agreement for payment and they have upheld their end, so far.

With that said, I got a recommendation from them on another project that if all goes well, should be good for me. It's a game you just have to play.

People "with money" can be the absolute worst.

On the other side of this statement, I am in the cabinet business and require a 30% deposit upfront. I finished a project right before Christmas that the customer paid the 30%, no problem. Then wrote a check for the balance that had insufficient funds. They apologized then informed me they thought they would have the money by the time I was finished with the project, but do not have it. I am now receiving weekly checks from them to pay their balance.

I have to pay for my materials net 30 and the employees that work for me, no matter if I get paid or not. By getting a deposit, at least I can cover some of my expenses if this happens.

This is not the only time this has happened. You would really be surprised how often it does.

would it not be feasible to refuse checks and switch to cards only? Granted, it doesn't solve the problem of there not being funds available on the card when you finish the job, but I'd think it would provide some sort of relief from bounced checks

would it not be feasible to refuse checks and switch to cards only? Granted, it doesn't solve the problem of there not being funds available on the card when you finish the job, but I'd think it would provide some sort of relief from bounced checks

I have thought about it for smaller projects, but not everyone has a credit limit to support a $40k kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom