• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Federal Automatic Knife Regulations?

6Bones

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
Non-vigilante Architect
271   0
Reaction score
Decided to take the plunge into the OTF knife world and learned that apparently the Feds have auto knives in a choke hold not unlike firearms. Below is what an online retailer sent me when I, a mere citizen, inquired about placing an order.

I guess it makes me an auto knife noob? Maybe not. Either way, I was surprised.

"Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:

1. to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

2. an active Armed Forces member or employee acting in the performance of his or her duty;

3. to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a State, Territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;

4. to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of an State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

5. to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4."

upload_2017-8-23_13-11-25.png

Probably, but gotta admit I was caught totally off guard concerning the red tape!
Yeah, it was news to me also, but I'm not a real big knife guy.

The only switchblade I ever owned was one I bought at a tourist trap in Cherokee NC back when I was a teenager.

It fell apart after about a week.

Blade HQ and knife center will ship auto's and don't require that. It happened to me before on another website. I was also confused when I got that email stating they need all this crazy information.

Blade HQ and knife center will ship auto's and don't require that. It happened to me before on another website. I was also confused when I got that email stating they need all this crazy information.

Good to know. Maybe the seller is in a state with different regs? Who knows?

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom