• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fedor vs Werdum

Burdy

Default rank 5000+ posts
ODT Co-Founder
Forum Owner
260   0
Reaction score
Main card starts in 35 minutes. I kind of hope its an upset so that I can stop hearing about the greatest heavyweight that ever lived that continues to dodge top competition...

I gotta say, I like Fedor even more now. He is such a class act. And yes, that is two replies to my own thread.

It's your thread...do what you want LOL

But you are right he was very respectful in his loss. Probably won't happen that way again.

That was the best thing to happen to MMA in a long time. Fedor won't hog the number 1 ranking now based on "he's fedor lol". I was expecting his loss to be to Overeem but as soon as Werdum fell backwards with the feint I knew something wasn't right. Oh well. Overeem is going to beat Werdum and Fedor will probably get his last fight reserved for the champ or they'll throw him Antonio Silva so he can retire with a win.

That was the best thing to happen to MMA in a long time. Fedor won't hog the number 1 ranking now based on "he's fedor lol". I was expecting his loss to be to Overeem but as soon as Werdum fell backwards with the feint I knew something wasn't right. Oh well. Overeem is going to beat Werdum and Fedor will probably get his last fight reserved for the champ or they'll throw him Antonio Silva so he can retire with a win.

Short term, financially it makes no sense for Coker to put on Overeem vs Werdum right now. Neither of them have a ton of drawing power to the average fan. He was talking PPV before this fight and that match up will not cut it. I think we will see an immediate rematch, I truly believe Fedor will win the 2nd time and then Overeem vs Fedor will be PPV worthy. Fedor has been fighting for a very long time with no loss to get him motivated like most top guys have been through. I expect the pressure to subside (even though he says there is none), the fire to re-light and a beast of a man to come out of this. Is he more skilled than Overeem? Definitely. Will the physical strength of Overeem be too much? Thats the million dollar question. The only issue with this plan is that if Fedor is beat by Werdum, or Overeem we could see StrikeForce go the way of EliteXC after putting all their eggs in one basket. It might be smarter for them to go ahead and start building a true division, not a showcase division to highlight one man. Its a gamble either way and Im sure Dana White is loving every minute of it.

Short term, financially it makes no sense for Coker to put on Overeem vs Werdum right now. Neither of them have a ton of drawing power to the average fan. He was talking PPV before this fight and that match up will not cut it. I think we will see an immediate rematch, I truly believe Fedor will win the 2nd time and then Overeem vs Fedor will be PPV worthy. Fedor has been fighting for a very long time with no loss to get him motivated like most top guys have been through. I expect the pressure to subside (even though he says there is none), the fire to re-light and a beast of a man to come out of this. Is he more skilled than Overeem? Definitely. Will the physical strength of Overeem be too much? Thats the million dollar question. The only issue with this plan is that if Fedor is beat by Werdum, or Overeem we could see StrikeForce go the way of EliteXC after putting all their eggs in one basket. It might be smarter for them to go ahead and start building a true division, not a showcase division to highlight one man. Its a gamble either way and Im sure Dana White is loving every minute of it.

Fedor only has one more fight on his contract and he's already expressed his desire to retire soon. Strikeforce would have to be retarded to try and do Fedor a favor and hand him Werdum again so he can pull an Anderson Silva and refuse to engage a grappler, but, unfortunately, Werdum has been shown to be willing to try and engage a striker when he's sub-par at best(See: Dos Santos). I'm a fan of Overeem, but he's almost as bad as Fedor, considering the last relevant opponent he's beaten was Mark Hunt two years ago. He's been hopping over to Japan and smashing cans for years after beating Paul Buentello.

Imo, Strikeforce doesn't have much left and Fedor no longer has his leverage, so I see Dana White offering Overeem a contract similar to Fedor's and I do not think Alistair will be able to deny it. Fedor's reputation, on the other hand, is ruined. The thousands of fans that disliked him but couldn't argue his record now have the proof they need to just disregard him until he proves himself again, but, again, with one more fight left, I think the likes of Carwin, Velasquez, or Dos Santos will soon succeed Fedor in the rankings and he won't be able to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom