• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Feedback on Precision Applications

I have attended many Precision Applications classes including long range, handgun, and carbine. I have taken the basic precision class multiple times along with the advanced wind reading class.

The classes are outstanding. You will learn about the basics of how to setup a precision rifle along with pro/cons for various calibers and setups. Next you’ll learn about keeping a record on your rifle for dope, round count, etc. along with detailed coverage on scopes including MOA vs. Mils. After that you’ll learn the basics in using a reticle for ranging and put it to use later in the class so you can see just how hard it (or easy with lots of practice) it is to do.

Once the classroom instruction is out of the way, you’ll start by verifying your zero and getting dialed in at 100yds. Rob will make sure you get an accurate zero on your rifle and fix any issues you may have. He has personally worked with me on flinching and has an exercise where he pulls the trigger for you so that you can actually feel what a good trigger pull should be. He will devote time to each shooter to rectify problems and still keep the class on track on with minimal delays.

Once you confirm you’re zero, you will start moving out from 150 to approximately 500 yds the first day. You will get as many shots per target as you need (more if you have issues and need personal help) so that you have DOPE for each distance.

On day 2 you’ll start where you left off and move out to 1000 yds. Rob will give you elevation settings and wind calls as needed in order to make sure you get on target for multiple hits. Rob has gotten everyone on target at 1000 yds whether they are shooting a custom rig (like mine - an Accurate Ordnance .308 modified build), a .30-06 hunting rifle, or even a SCAR 17 heavy. They all made hits at 1000 yds under Rob’s tutelage.

Finally, Rob will cover in detail how to clean and maintain a precision shooting rig including tools and how to ensure the best barrel life.

In summary, these classes are just outstanding and well worth the money. While you may not need to take them multiple times, you will learn a ton of information in one weekend, perhaps more than you can actually absorb. I make it a point to take the basic class for each rifle I shoot at distances beyond 600 yds as I get good DOPE for the rifle and learn something new in each class. The wind reading classes take it to new level since you alternate spotting and shooting with your partner and Rob teaches what to look for in spotting for wind & elevation calls while you take your turn spotting for partner.

If you need assistance with getting your rig setup before the class, Rob will help you for no charge other than the trek out to his location. He has personally taught me how mount to a scope, clean a precision rifle, made stock modifications, and fixed many other little problems on a rifle at no charge.

I can’t speak highly enough for the amount of things I a have learned from Rob in his classes.

PM me if you have any detailed questions and I’ll be happy to answer them.

I've never taken the long range class, but have attended several pistol and carbine classes and always learned a lot. In fact, I'll be attending a concealed carry techniques class next month. If PA wasn't good training, I wouldn't waste my time or money going back for more training, again and again. I always get more than what I pay for from Shep. Furthermore, even though I haven't taken the long range course yet, it is fairly common knowledge that his long range skills are second to none. I don't think you will find a better instructor anywhere. Some guys can shoot, but not all can teach. He can do both. He's not an ego inflated dick either. The atmosphere is always comfortable and fun. Let us know how it goes. Enjoy!

I have not taken a specific Precision Applications "class" - but I participated twice in long range events organized by Shep at Blakely GA where Shep facilitated a group being able to access long range steel - 2000 yards kind of long - most of us ran out to 1200 yards or so depending on gear. Besides facilitating access to the long range, Shep gave out a lot of gear tips, shooting tips, etc. Most of us would never have that type of LR opportunity without Shep.

As a "new" long range shooter, Shep has given me lots of TTPs and he has personally helped me set up my first rifle 308 and later gave me a tip when a custom 6.5 Creedmoor became available.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. For me time is a short commodity so before I commit to plunk down two days I really wanted a sanity check so I deeply appreciate the comments.

If that is cmshoot....took a carbine course last year. Was nervous being my first ever training course and I didn't know anyone.

Had fun and learned a ton, and would do it again for sure.

This is definitely cmshoot cmshoot and the 2nd carbine course I showed up at I was running a single AR mag pouch and the 2nd in my back pocket. Everyone else was running chest rigs & armor with 4-6+ mags. Did Shep look down on me? Hell no. He pointed out that I was the guy that was probably training like I would end up fighting and if worked and you practiced that way what is the problem?

Outstanding classes for those who are new to training. You'll end up taking some of the classes multiple times since they are so economical.

Back
Top Bottom