• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ffl dealer selling used firearms without 4473

NO, LMAO. Because I’m trying to be FFL dealer very soon, and i was wondering if i can still buy&sell&trade my surplus collection without involving 4473.
If it is a firearm that you owned prior to getting your FFL or if it is one you have logged out to yourself and it has been logged out to you for over a year then it is legal for you to sell it as a private sale but it is still frowned upon by ATF as it would be a possible avenue for you to sell a firearm to someone who could not pass a background check or otherwise legally own said firearm. Every firearm you take in once you have a license has to go in the bound book even if it is one you buy for yourself. In that case you would log it in from the seller then log it out to yourself.

If it is a firearm that you owned prior to getting your FFL or if it is one you have logged out to yourself and it has been logged out to you for over a year then it is legal for you to sell it as a private sale but it is still frowned upon by ATF as it would be a possible avenue for you to sell a firearm to someone who could not pass a background check or otherwise legally own said firearm. Every firearm you take in once you have a license has to go in the bound book even if it is one you buy for yourself. In that case you would log it in from the seller then log it out to yourself.
Yes it sounds little complicated, but my whole purpose of this post was this; if i want to trade my collection to private party on odt for example, should i bring 4473 form anywhere we are planning to meet?

Yes it sounds little complicated, but my whole purpose of this post was this; if i want to trade my collection to private party on odt for example, should i bring 4473 form anywhere we are planning to meet?
If it is a private collection there is not any need of a 4473 but it would be safer on your part to log them in and then do the 4473. It would keep ATF from suspecting anything out of the way. The other thing is that the FFL can only legally complete a transaction (sale) from his licensed premises of a legally sanctioned gun show. You cannot meet someone at the corner store and do a 4473 and sell them a gun. There seems to be some confusion about that but it is stated very clearly in the ATF handbook.
You can make a purchase anywhere in the US but you can only make a sale at your licensed premises or a gun show.

Is it legal for ffl licensed dealer to sell “used” firearms without form 4473 on odt and armslist? I just got curious.
I knew a FFL dealer and Ruger Jobber/distributor who went to prison for doing exactly what you asked. He was buying used guns and selling them to a preacher, in and out never hitting the logbook and no 4473's. Some nefarious individual bought, and was caught with a gun he got from the preacher. One by one they both sang like canaries and the dealer is probably still in the federal pen to this day, or has probably recently been released.

I've always said rob a gas station and shoot the cashier with an automatic weapon. You'll plea bargain the murder charge and be out in three years or get it dropped all together, but you'll do a minimum 20 years in fed house with no chance of parole for the weapons charge. You may not like the rules, I sure don't, but none of it's worth the time you'll spend in prison.

When I had my shop in Illinois I would have people ask me to skip the 72 hour waiting period. Come on man, you know me, I've known you since high school. My response was this, yeah, and you never sat a detention for me, so why should I think you'll now sit 20 years in prison for me. You get your gun in 3 days or 72 hours, which ever comes first. 24hours on long guns.

If it is a private collection there is not any need of a 4473 but it would be safer on your part to log them in and then do the 4473. It would keep ATF from suspecting anything out of the way. The other thing is that the FFL can only legally complete a transaction (sale) from his licensed premises of a legally sanctioned gun show. You cannot meet someone at the corner store and do a 4473 and sell them a gun. There seems to be some confusion about that but it is stated very clearly in the ATF handbook.
You can make a purchase anywhere in the US but you can only make a sale at your licensed premises or a gun show.
This one

Back
Top Bottom