• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FFL, selling, buying, trading

1coolhand

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
150   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know If there is a limit (monthly/ yearly) to an individual selling, buying or trading firearms ? and if there is, and that individual goes over that limit, does that mean that they will need an ffl ? It's probably a dumb question but just wanted to know.
Thanks,
1coolhand

How would the BATFE know what I or anyone else buys, sells or trades unless it is NFA or Class III?

Good point! You can buy and sell as many as you want to. Its when you walk into and FFL.... buy a new gun and walk out the door.... 2 seconds later go selling it to someone else... that when you have the trouble. If you take that same gun home... wait 45 min then decide you dont want it... you good to go!

A hobbyist doesn't need a license, but selling and trading for profit requires an FFL. That said, I don't think there is anything about being a hobbyist that doesn't allow you to benefit on a trade when it supports your hobby. If your goal is to acquire a private arsenal then buy to your hearts content.

The only way they know how many guns you are buying is if you buy more than 4 handguns in a day, then the seller has to fill out a multiple handgun sales form and send it in. Long guns are fine. If you are at an event like a gun show for example if you have more than 4 on your table you are considered a dealer and require a ffl

there have been instances where the batfe has looked into individuals for excessive buying/selling/trading that I have seen on other forums. usually comes from either someone calling in a tip or agents browse forums like these looking for suspicious activity.
if you have any class 3 weapons, remember the batfe can visit you anytime they want to and look for whatever they would like

Back
Top Bottom