• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fiber optic red dot

Eastwood

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
222   0
Reaction score
Why aren’t there options for basic red dot sights that use fiber optics other than Trijicon? I am a big fan of Trijicon and have owned several of their products including ACOG/Accupoint. I would love to have some form of Trijicon optic on every gun I own but that’s not feasible for me due to the cost. But why are there no other companies that are using fiber optic as the source of lighting for the dot? I know tritium is another element that is necessary for low lighting and is expensive too, but surely batteries could be the alternative for that as well. I’m fully aware that Aimpoints and such have battery life that will last years and years, but I’m still not a fan of battery powered dots. I know there are knock offs and fake ACOGs too, I have one on a 22 that works quite well actually, but I’m surprised companies like Vortex, Sig, Leupold, etc haven’t made some form of fiber optic/battery hybrid red dot or even tritium to straight up compete with Trijicon. Is there a patent that’s preventing this? Are the optics companies tied in closely with battery companies and there’s more money to be made by being able to keep selling batteries?

I think the German optic I had on my HK91 had it as well. IIRC there was a battery operated illuminator that you could add that mounted to the side and provided light to the fiber optic for low light conditions.

I think the German optic I had on my HK91 had it as well. IIRC there was a battery operated illuminator that you could add that mounted to the side and provided light to the fiber optic for low light conditions.

You’re right I forgot meprolight does have one, similar in price to Trijicons RX34 reflex sight. Definitely cheaper than an ACOG though. Do you have any more info on the German optic you are referring to? Would be interested to see what it looks like

The scope was a Hensoldt Z-24, you can Google pics of the illuminator. I'm assuming that the illuminator passed light through a fiber optic, but I'm not positive about that. I was trying to Google more info about that but I haven't found anything to confirm yet. I know there are battery operated lights that mount to the front of the M21 that do the same thing so that's what makes me think the Hensoldt is fiber optic as well...

Back
Top Bottom